Sunday, November 15, 2009

Day 333....Seoul Lantern Festival 2009

Sunday November 15

I love 24 hour restaurants. I went to Kimbap Heaven at 3:15 AM.At first I was the only person in there. Then in the 30 mins that I was there 5 more people came in. I ordered 돈까스. It costed 4,000 won which is less than $4. Where can you go in America and get a decent portion for $4??

Today the KRW to USD really took a giant leap-by 10,000 won. Right now my desktop gadget says that $1 USD = 11,627 KRW. Recently its been in the 1160 range. Whoever put in the information made a mistake-all the other sites are in the 1156 range. Today my salary is equivalant to $180. The lower the exchange rate the higher my salary is. I'd love to see it hit 1,000 right at the time I'm going to leave cause I'll be making a big transfer home.

At night I went to the Seoul Lantern Festival. It was held at Cheonggyecheon. It's a lovely stream in the heart of Seoul. I took a bus instead of the subway. It took about 30 mins to get there. Same amount of time it would have taken on the subway except I didn't have to transfer. There were tons of people there. It was very crowded and you had to push your way through all the people stopped to take photographs and you have to try to find a spot to fit in to take your photo. I took a lot of photos. I hate that my camera battery was getting low after taking a few photos. I think its time to buy a new battery. I charged it fully last night but it was running out of juice shortly after taking on a few pictures. The battery is suppose to be able to take 400 photos on one charge. It was so cold! I think it was in the low 30's, but that didn't stop the crowds.

click on album to view:
Seoul Lantern Festival 2009


The lighting festival started on Nov. 11, Wednesday and will run through Nov. 15. The lanterns embellish a 1 km stretch of the watercourse from Cheonggye Square at the top of the stream to the Samilgyo bridge. The event has its origins in Gwandeungnori, a lighting festival that was celebrated throughout the Joseon Dynasty (1392-1910). The festival aims to tell a story about the past, the present and the future of Seoul through the thematic lantern exhibition.

2010 2012 Visit Korea Year


The three years from 2010 to 2012 have been called "Visit Korea Year." As the first stage of the events, the Seoul government prepared the Seoul Lantern Festival as an inaugural event under the theme of "2010 2012 Visit Korea Year - Come with Seoul," to enjoy the upcoming years in the heart of Seoul.

The opening ceremony was attended by over 2,000 people and government dignitaries including the Seoul city mayor, the chairman of the Visit Korea Committee, the minister of culture, sports and tourism, lawmakers, foreign ambassadors to Korea, people involved in the domestic tourism industry, and local city residents. The first part consisted of a percussion performance, an opening address, a congratulatory message, and the lantern lighting event of Seoul Lantern Festival. The second part will feature performances by famous hallyu stars and a "hanbok" fashion show which will show new designs of Korea's traditional dress.

No comments: