Saturday, November 7, 2009

Day 325..biking near the Han river and a demonstration

Saturday November 7



Today for our Korean "class" we went biking. We were near Yeouido. It was me, Lesley and Terry (our teacher). It was 3,000 won to rent a bike for an hour. Thats less than $3.00. good price. Our bikes had a basket on the front so we put our bookbags in it. I hadn't been on a bike in so long. Probably since I was a kid. I had so much fun. The bike seat was uncomfortable. I wish Hanyang park had better bike lanes though. Its very narrow and there were a lot of people riding bikes today. They also need a separate walking path. You have to go around the people who are walking. I actually almost crashed with a pedestrian. I was coming around a curve and there was a man walking and on the other side was a bicyle coming head on. The path is narrow so I nearly hit the pedestrian. Later I was coasting down a hill and there was a man standing in the middle of the bike path with a baby carriage. I was hoping he'd move because its hard to stop going downhill!! He moved in time. The weather was perfect today. It was cloudy and warm..probably in the low 60's or high 50's. Not cold enough to wear a coat. I really enjoyed biking. I may have to do that again sometime. Its a nice place to bike. The park looks really nice also. I hadn't been there since they were finished with renovations. Last time I went it was under construction. I'm considering going back tomorrow just to take pictures and visit the park.

There was a big demonstration going on in Yeouido Park. Terry said it was people from the labor union. They want new labor laws. There were police everywhere because sometime they get violent. They have police buses and a lot of the police were sitting in the buses. The demonstrators tend to move around a lot and if it gets out of hand the police will chase them down in buses. There were tons of buses. There must have been 20-30 buses lined up around Yeouido park. Big buses like a tour bus were parked all along the street. We went to watch the demonstration shortly.When I thought about a demonstration I think of people holding signs marching around and yelling whatever they want. They were up on stage singing, dancing and waving flags sorta like a color guard. It seemed more like they were putting on a show. Very interesting. It was tame so I didn't get to see any riots break out. ha.I wanted to take pictures of the demonstration and the police buses but my camera battery died. Oh well.

Here are the only pics I got(they aren't that great. It was dark and my battery was dying):




No comments: