Thursday, November 19, 2009

Day 336

Wednesday November 18

I've been here 48 weeks today. 4 more and it will be a year! I only have 102 days left! Its getting down to less than 100! 3 1/2 months!

Well today was pretty good

My first class was good. I had 5 students. We went over a writing unit on exact words and sentence types. The sentence types was easy and they caught on quick. Using exact words was a little harder so I basically just gave them the answers to that.

My 2nd class was too short. I'm following the lesson plan which is so stupid. How can I make 2 pages last 50 minutes? Today I only had to do one short lesson. I only had one student today. We finished very quickly since the material was so easy. Today we were talking about titles (Mr. Dr. Ms.) and Interviews. When we got finished with the lesson he wanted to do a puzzle. He wanted to go home early. I'm afraid to let the students go home early. What will they think if I come and sit at my desk a long time before class is suppose to be over. They will think I'm not doing my job. I asked the student if he wanted to play a game or review for the test but he didnt want to. I didn't know what to do. How do I entertain a 12 year old boy? Basically he was just wasting time doing nothing. I should have started reviewing after the lesson. I let him leave 5 minutes early.

My conversation class was pretty decent. I had one new student today. Our lesson today was "Could you help me?" I chose a lesson that I thought would be beneficial on how to ask for help. The boys like to goof off during class. They talk and play around. One of the boys was putting paper in his mouth and spitting it at another boy and he got up and moved. One of the boys was making me laugh when I was trying to get the students to repeat after me. We were reading the conversation and he'd read everything, even the period and the comma. like "yes comma I'd love to period" He's always been the class clown in every class I've had him in. The girls were being good. They are really quiet and they participate. The boys don't like to practice conversation. One of the boys wanted to change his name again. I told him it better not be anything bad. He changed it to superman. I always think its funny when the guys forget what they chose as their name. One guy changed his name to "13" so i called him 13 and it took him a while to respond. I told him that he wrote 13 on my name sheet. At least this conversation class is better than the other 2. 80% of this class actually tries to understand the material.

Oh my. I finally had a good class with my lowest level in the computer lab. I had to bribe them. I told them that if they were really good I'd give them 2 stickers. It worked. They were doing their work and not trying to look at other sites. They were actually searching for the answers to their worksheet and got all the answers right. It was a great day! I didn't have to beg or yell. I gave them all 2 stickers. They even got finished early. Most of the time they mess around and don't get finished. Maybe if I keep bribing them with stickers they will finally learn to behave. You gotta do what works!

No comments: