Monday, June 29, 2009

day 192/193

June 27/28 Saturday/Sunday

It was another lazy weekend. Part of me wants to get out and do things and the other part of me just wants to relax. The relaxing part usually wins.

I did get out and go to the gym on Saturday. I woke up at 2pm and got dressed and headed to the gym. I was standing at the crosswalk and someone started to talk to me. It was the fitness counselor from the gym (the handsome guy at the front desk). He asked me how I was doing and wanted to know where I was going. (I was on my way to the gym). He said he was going to the gym also. He asked if I had eaten lunch yet.(he always likes to ask if I've eaten--which is a normal thing they do in their culture-but it has a very different meaning to them-to them its used as a greeting, but I always answer in the literal sense. He's asking in the literal sense also because when I say yes he will ask "what did you eat?"). I told him I hadn't and he wanted to know why. I told him I just hadn't eaten yet. What I didn't tell him was that I had just woke up 45 minutes ago. I'm not too quick on my feet when trying to think of what to say.After crossing the road he went somewhere before heading to the gym. At the gym I just walked on the treadmill for 40 minutes while watching various things on tv.

At night I went out to celebrate Lesley's birthday-She turned 24 on the 28th. We were meeting in Itaewon to watch a rugby game with her boyfriend and coworker. We were at a pub called 'Dinkins Lounge.' Everyone in our group was drinking Cass. I find it interesting that everyone thinks I'm so weird because I don't drink. I've tried stuff but there isn't anything I like. Plus I just don't see the point of drinking and doing crazy things. People do stupid stuff when they are drunk! I don't want to have a moment where I'm so drunk that I can't even remember what I did the next day. I'd rather stay sober and remember my night. I'll just stick to my soda. The British and Irish Lions were playing South Africa. Lesley is from South Africa and follows the rugby team. She told me South Africa's colors were gold and green. Her and her boyfriend were wearing south africa shirts. I wore a Saint Patricks day shirt since its the only green thing I had! Which was actually funny since its an Irish holiday(and the other team was Irish although their color was red). Anyway I was a neutral spectator. I didn't care who won or lost. I didn't even know what rugby was. There were a lot of people there cheering for the british/irish team. I'd never seen a rugby game so she explained a few things. Its sorta like American football, but there are differences. I stayed for half of the game then left at 11pm so I could catch the subway. I left at halftime. When I left South Africa was losing.

Sunday was a lazy day. I went to bed at 6:30am and got up at 5pm.

The only place I went was GS25 to buy garbage bags and to E-mart to eat at McDonalds and buy some food.

I'm finally caught up with 'The Bachelorette.' I'm really not liking Wes. The show is created to make drama and they edit it to make certian people look bad. He's just looking really bad! I think he was there to promote his music career. She shouldn't have let Jake go.She should have let Michael or Wes go and kept Jake. But her problem with Jake was that he was 'too perfect'.When he was gone he was talking about how nice guys finish last. He just needs to find a girl who appreciates nice guys. My favorites are Kiptyn and Reid. She thinks Reid is neurotic.haha. It seems like some big things are going to be happening soon. Jake is coming back to tell that Wes has a girlfriend. Then somebody is coming back at the end before she is ready to pick her final person. I'm ready to see the hometown dates.

It rained today. First official rain of the monsoon season. It was just a light rain.

I'm considering staying at home for vacation. I really want to go somewhere, but all the expenses are really adding up. I have estimated that I'll spend around 600,000 (@500 usd). I don't want to spend that much. I don't really want to spend 160,000 won(@125usd) for a one hour plane ride. I think I'd rather stay at home and do things that are inexpensive thn i dont have to pay for a plane or a hotel. I could spend a week doing touristy things in Seoul. I could go to the zoo, palaces, and other things and probably end up spending less than 50,000 won.

I've got to stop spending so much money. One of my goals was to save up for a new car (I wanted a Hyundai Genesis Coupe, but I think I need to be more realistic and get a 2009 corolla). I've been here 6 months and I haven't really saved anything. I've just been living like I have a lot of money and spending on frivilous things like fast food nearly everyday. I like not having to worry about money. I live on very little but I spend too much on things i shouldn't be buying. The bulk of my money that I will be saving will be coming at the end of my contract. I'll have my last month's salary and a months salary for severance. Almost a months salary for pension and I'll get my security deposit back.

Billy Mays died..He was 50..he was the person who did the Oxiclean commercials.

I'm starting to slowly teach myself some Korean. I know most of the alphabet and I can write a little. They have 24 letters in their alphabet-10 vowels and 14 consonants. I just need to spend a little more time, but really it might be a waste of time since I am definatly leaving in 8 months. When I get to America knowing Korean isn't going to mean anything. I don't know anyone who speaks Korean and its not something you need for a job. North and South Carolina don't have a huge Korean population. I'd never even met a Korean before actually coming to Korea. I need to concentrate on my Spanish. That's something that would actually be useful. There is a huge latino population in my area in SC. (I should open a Spanish/English hagwon in SC--I could teach English and knowing Spanish would also help me..haha)

No comments: