Monday, June 15, 2009

Day 180.....new books? what new books?

June 15 Monday

I went to the bank today and paid my gas bill and transferred $772 home to my wachovia account.

I got to school today at 2pm and I was the first person here. The elementary teachers didn't show up till after 3pm. I don't know why. I was wondering how I was going to prepare for my classes today since we are getting new books. I asked the Korean teacher about the new books and she didn't have a clue. Why is the communication so bad around here? I'm using the same books in some of my classes. I mean same book that I used in another class-I'm just using it for a new level. So I've already taught the material before. I won't have to do much prep in those 4 books. Plus I kept most of my tests so I can reuse them. They don't even have some of my books. They have to order them. If you are going to be starting new books shouldn't you have the books before the start date? no one here even knew we were getting new books!! crazy!! I have 11 weeks to finish the books. Now I know how I can pace myself since I know how long I have to finish the books. Some of the books have 9 units so I can do a unit a week and use some time for other activities.

I had one new student in my lowest level. He doesn't have an English name. Maybe I'll show him a list of names and let him pick one on Friday. We were learning about things like 'sit down, stand up, open your books, close your books, look at the board, etc. I had them read each thing twice and I gave examples and left blanks so they could fill in the blank. I also made them listen to each thing 2 or 3 times. I assigned an essay about their favorite animal. The youngest kid turned hers in but she didn't write in sentences. Her favorite animal is a 'square'. She means 'squirrel'. For homework I told them to listen to the cd tracks 2-5 3 times each and get their parents to sign their book. The listening will prepare them for the test on Friday.

We don't have the book for my second class so I had to just teach them out of a book that the first class used. I taught the same lesson twice. The boys in the class like to cut up erasers and throw the pieces at each other. I got hit in the forehead by a very small eraser. It was funny. The boy apologized. I tell them not to throw things in class but they don't listen. They weren't even paying attention to the lesson today. I'd ask them questions and they didn't know the answer. I let them play a game at the end of class. They really like the game where you start a new word with the last letter of the previous word. game-eraser-rat. They like to give the youngest boy words that start with E because he always has a hard time. Its funny. He couldnt think of a word twice. They covered up words on a poster that started with E so he couldnt see. If they want to keep playing games they better have good behavior.

I'm just going to book a plane to Jeju. I was thinking about going on the ferry but if I wanted to leave on Friday that wouldnt be possible since the ferry leaves at 7pm and I work till 9:30. I can't leave school early because my last class isn't over til 8pm. I'm just going to take a plane on Monday and stay thru Thursday. I've already booked the guesthouse. I sent my deposit through paypal yesterday. Lesley told me about a site where I can get cheaper tickets than the major airlines. Its not much cheaper but every little bit helps. The total price will be around 160,000 I think which is better than the 196,000 with Korean air. I think the only things I'm going to do on the Island are 2 day tours and maybe the submarine tour. I'll also probably spend some time on the beach. I wonder how the weather will be. Its right at the end of monsoon season.

Speaking of monsoon season, its coming soon! I'm not looking forward to it. I've heard it rains everyday for a month. I wonder if we will have an typhoons. (its like a hurricane) oh my. My hair will be in a constant state of disarray. Now I wish it were long enough for a ponytail! I'll put the straightening iron away during monsoon season because the rain makes my hair do funky stuff. I think I'm going to get a "magic straight perm" in Seoul. I've heard its really good and lasts a long time. Its a perm that makes your hair really straight.

In my 3rd class one of my students has forgotten his writing book 2 wekes in a row so I have to make copies for him.

The Korean teacher said that the parents have been complaining about me. They said I don't give their students enough time to talk in class. I don't know how to give them more talking time. I guess I'll have to start coming up with activities where they can interact with each other. (I wonder what students made that claim cause no parents have even seen my class!)

Well if all the parents are going to start making demands then I need to start making demands that they teach their kids how to behave and how to actually do their work and pay attention. huh. How you like them apples?

I had a decent workout tonight. I was on the eliptical for 30 minutes and the bike for 20 minutes. While I was walking to burger king I met a Korean who spoke really good English. He was from Canada. I talked to him for a little while while I was walking. I told him I was going to burger king. He said "burger king after a workout?".I just laughed and said yeah. I know I have problems. Fast food is my vice. At least I ended up getting a chicken sandwich. I did good the rest of the day though. I had pasta for lunch with jolly pong in milk (Jolly Pong is a snack that looks and tastes just like "Honey Smacks" in the US) I tried some today in cereal and it was good. For supper I also had pasta.

No comments: