Saturday, June 20, 2009

Day 184

June 19 Friday

So I ordered something from Ebay-mineral makeup. When I came home Wednesday there was a note on my door that the package had been dropped off at the post office. I don't know why they didnt leave it with the guard. The package was actually small enough to fit in my mailbox.So I decided I was going to pick it up on Friday. I went to the post office and it took forever! They couldnt find my package.After 30 minutes of searching they finally found it. They need a better organization system so they don't make people wait around for their packages.

I went there at 1:15 pm so I had plenty of time. I thought I'd just walk in and grab my package and be home in a few minutes and then be on time for school. Well I was still in the post office till around 1:50 or so. I didn't get back to my house till 2pm. I sent a text to one of the teachers to let her know I'd be late so she wouldn't call wanting to know where I was.

I got to school at 2:40-40 minutes late. I was the first person there! I don't know why everyone is showing up later and later these days. On monday, wed, and friday the korean teachers didn't come to work till 3pm.

My 1st class was pretty good. I like the new book. It provides a lot of activites for them to practice their speaking. I gave them 2 opportunities to speak with their partner. The cd with the book will be very beneficial if they actually do the work on it. Its an interactive cd rom where they can listen to the story, answer questions and even play a game. I assign it for homework. I won't know if they actually did it or not. I told them to get their parent to sign if they did it but they can just tell their parent to sign without even looking at the cd. I wish I had a DVD version and a way to play it in class but they arent that high tech. I don't even have cds to play the stories. I'm going to use material off of the cd for tests so i'll be able to tell who is actually doing the cd bc they will know the answers.

I hate teaching the lowest level. The material is easy and boring. We just learned things like sit, stand, open, close and the abcs. we just finished unit one. My new student doesn't know how to spell his name in English(he can write it in Korean). He won't even say his name for me. He doesn't want an English name.We had a part in the book where our activity was to ask your partner how to spell their name. Well we couldn't do that section. He doesnt know how to spell his name. After class I asked the Korean teacher to spell how his name because I dont know what to call him in class. She spelled out his Korean name.

My 3rd class was good. We were doing a writing unit. They were all doing their work and not acting up. I'm surprised. This is my biggest class--11 students. They are in one of the upper levels--level 8 out of 10. Sometimes they like to act up-3 boys and 2 girls in particular but today they were really good.

Its so hot!! Its only in the 70s or 80s but the humidity makes it feel so bad. I think its going to be too hot to wear makeup this summer..it will be covered in sweat by the time I walk from my apt to the subway station!

I went to the gym alone. Lesley didn't want to come tonight plus she said she was really tired. I walked on the treadmill for 40 minutes while watching "The Breakup" on OnStyle in English with Korean subtitles. I think they show a movie every Friday night. Last week I watched 45 minutes of "Just My Luck". So every Friday I need to do the treadmill.

No comments: