Thursday, June 18, 2009

Day 183 "teacher I hate you"

June 18 Thursday

I'm having trouble booking my flight. The site is in Korean so I have to get someone to help me. We couldn't get my info to go through. We put in my Korean check card and he wasn't working. Then we tried my American card and it wouldn't go through. I don't know what the problem is. We are going to try again tomorrow. I may just end up giving her the money and letting her put it on her card.

I was telling the Korean teacher that I was taking the whole last week of July off for vacation. She said our vacation was July 30-31st. I told her I was taking the whole week. She said "we have class on Mon-Wed." I told her that Sunny said I could take the whole week. (the Koreans only get the 30-31st). She wanted to know why my vacation was longer. I think Native speakers get better 'benefits' than the Korean teachers. We get more vacation time.

My first class was good...There were 3 students..We started a new book today.They all did their work and participated. They actually did the activities without much instruction which was nice. I gave them 2 chances in class to speak to their partner. It was an odd amount of people so I was one student's partner.

My 2nd class didn't follow directions. I gave them speaking time to talk about a section in the book. They had to look at the picture and tell if that person liked or didn't like the specific food. They were talking about other things during class speaking time.One of the students was complaining about having to do work in class. She said we studied hard on Tuesday and that we needed a game today. I told her we have to study hard everyday. She told me she hated me. She said "teacher I hate you" She didn't say it in a hateful way. She just doesn't like that I make her do work in class.

My 3rd class was terrible! I gave them a test on the months of the year. I forgot that the months were listed on the wall. So the students were cheating. oh well. I gave them some new rules to follow but they didn't listen! I told them no talking during the test but they were talking. I also told them to only speak in English. They didn't like that and well they spoke in Korean anyway. I yelled at them a lot. I had to keep telling them to be quiet because they were really loud. Plus I kept yelling "ENGLISH". They say "I don't want to speak English". When I gave them speaking time they weren't doing it correctly. 2 of the boys were loud and the 2 girls also. the new student is always quiet. One of my students always shows up late. Today when he came in we were already on the last page of the lesson. He missed 2 pages of work. All during class they were begging for a game. I got frustrated and I told them that they weren't getting a game because they wouldn't behave. So we had class up until the last second of class. We were talking about holidays today. They don't even know what Mothers day and Fathers day are. They don't celebrate those here. The students thought it meant their mother and father's birthdays. I had to tell them that we have holidays called mothers day and fathers day.(They have a Parents Day in May)

My 4th class starts at 7:40. The Korean teacher was still in the classroom at 7:43. (I never go over my class time. The Korean teachers go to class late sometimes and stay in class past break time) Then the students took their break during my class time so I lost about 10 minutes of my class time. I just made the students do a lot of homework because we couldn't finish the lesson in class-I gave them a lot of homework-an essay and 3 pages of work in their writing book, but I didn't give homework on Tuesday so...

My last class was good. We were talking about simple past in our writing activities. I think they really grasped the material. I had to help them figure out a few things. I covered half of the unit and then let them have free time.

I assigned essays in all of my classes this week. I wonder if they will turn them in on time-3 people turned them in early. 4 of my students were absent when I assigned the essays so now I have to keep up with who I need to get it from at a later date. If the students don't turn them in then I will just get the Korean teachers to call their parents to let them know that they aren't doing their work.

I saw on Yahoo news today that North Korea might shoot a missile towards Hawaii. North Korea has been in the news a lot lately because they have started up their nuclear program and the other countries don't like it. North Korea vows to retaliate if they are provoked. I personally don't think they will do anything. I think they just want everyone to think they will or they will do a surprise attack because no one believes they will really do it. hmm.

No comments: