Saturday, February 28, 2009

Day 72 Last day at Avalon

Day 72 Feb 27,2009 Friday

Yeah I skipped day 71..nothing worth noting happened....

I went to the bank and paid all my bills today...I was in there for about 20 minutes waiting in line. I hate that I can't do online bill pay. that really sucks.

One of the other foreign teachers told me about a phone number where I can use that number to connect to an international number and pay local rates. sweet. He's going to give me the number so I can save on calling home. The other foreign teacher told him about it.

Today was my last day at Avalon. I got my letter of release which is weirdly worded. heres what it says (the guy in charge of foreigners wrote it):

"Due to unexpected personal circumstances, we are unhappy to give a letter of release to (my name) 27th February 2009. We appreciated of your participation and dedication to this school and we hope your better living and career in Korea. We recieved your 45 days notice and the school gives you a formal letter based on mutual agreement. Thanks again for a lot of contribution to our school."

I still don't know for sure when I have to go to Immigration to cancel my Visa. The guy in charge said something about March 10 at 1pm, but said he would get back to me later when he knows the exact date. I don't think they know what they are doing. I'm suppose to have my visa cancelled before starting at a new school.

Today was the last day of the MWF classes.In my first class one of the students saw my camera and wanted to look at it. Then some of the students took a few pictures. I showed some of my pics on my camera to some girls in the class. They wouldn't let me take photos of them though. I had a lot of students absent today. 4 in my first class, 3 in my 2nd class and 1 in my last class.

In my second class there are 2 boys who know some curse words. They asked me to teach them new ones and I said no. But they already know about "god damn", "Son of a bitch" and "fuck you". and they know about the middle finger. In that class there is one kid that I have to keep telling to do his work. He would just sit there and play with his phone or just sit there and not do anything. I told him over and over what page to turn to and what activity to do. They weren't loud at all today. It sure does make a difference when the troublemaker isn't there.

In my last class my student gave me a gift. It was a hairclip. She told me to close my eyes and hold out my hands. Then she gave me the gift. She was one of my best students and she got one on one attention because she was the only person in the class for the majority of the time. She was a great student and was always eager to learn. I'll miss her. I gave her my email and phone if she wanted to keep in touch. She gave me her phone number. I told her I was leaving and she said she wanted to come whereever I was. 5 minutes after class was over she sent me a text message. It said "I miss you. I love you!". ah how sweet.


After classes the person in charge of foriegners pulled me aside into a room. They told me that my money wasn't deposited into my account yet. Then they told me that they were going to get the recruiter to pay my airfare. I told them I would pay it. I don't want to delay getting my check and I was suppose to pay it anyway if I break my contract. It was 1.6 million won which equals out to $1057 usd with todays exchange. And I have to pay an apartment management fee of 60,000. So this month I'll only be getting a little less than 500,000 won. I can live on that. I still have 300,000 in my account. I only spent 600,000 this month and that was with eating out almost daily. My pay should be in my account on Saturday.

After work me and some of the teachers went out for my going away party. We went to a restaurant where they serve Samgyup-sal. Its Korean bacon. Its very yummy. You cook it at your table. They put charcoal in the hole at your table and then you put the pork on a grill like thing and cook it. I enjoyed the meal and hanging out one last time. We also had cake because it was one of the foriegn teacher's birthday. It was really good! One of the middle school teachers gave me a dunkin donuts mug as a present. I took pictures during the meal and afterwards.




Then I came home and packed. I did a lot of cleaning also. The only thing I havent packed is the things that I have to use to get ready (outfit,shampoo,hair dryer, etc). I'm getting up at 9:45 in the morning to get everything together. I have to be at the school at 11:30 then the driver will bring me to the apartment. I'll load up all my stuff and they will take me to my new school. I have to meet with the new school at 1pm. Then I'll probably end up going to lunch with my friend Andrew.

Hopefully I'll like the new school. I'm kinda nervous about starting over again, but I think I'll have more freedom at the new school and it will definatly be better to have shorter classes!

No comments: