Sunday, February 22, 2009

Day 66 Interview and Itaewon

Day 66 Feb 21,2009 Saturday

Today I had an interview at Myoung Sung Academy. It's right near the Nokbeon exit on Line 3. My interview was at 2. I always give myself plenty of time to get to places. I got there in an hour and had time to spare. So I went and sat in Dunkin Donuts for a little while. Then I went back to the station and called the person who was suppose to meet me there. The school was just a short walk from the subway station.

When I got there I met the director and another lady named Sunny. The director, sunny, and mr kim (the guy who met me at the subway) were in the interview room with me. They asked me a few questions then Sunny asked me if I would model teach. I was shocked. I wasn't expecting it. I said "I dont have anything prepared". Then she gave me some books and gave me some time to prepare. So I went into a classroom while they listened. I was nervous. I was just pretending like I had students in the room which is kinda weird and I was scared about how they would think I was doing and I was reading from a ciriculum that I wasnt accustomed to. I did an okay job. They really liked my lesson for the lower level students. They said I had a good speed and pronunciation. Then they wanted to see me write on the board. They liked my handwriting.

THen I sat in the room for a little while and then we went to visit another campus and talked for a short time there. The person who picked me up wanted to meet me for dinner in Itaewon at 7pm so I had time to burn. I was finally through with school stuff at 4pm. wow that was a long time! I have to go back next Saturday to sign my contract. I'll probably be moving in next weekend too. I start teaching on March 2nd. I think Im going to like this school better. The classes are only 45 minutes instead of 75. 75 is way too long!! And I've already met 2 of the other 3 foreign teachers.

I'm glad I'll be closer to Seoul now. It won't be so far if i want to go to Itaewon or anywhere else in Seoul. And I'll be able to visit that church more often. I can't believe that in the 9 weeks I've been here I've only been to church once. I'm so used to not ever missing church! but I knew finding a church over here would be a challenge because of the language differences.

I talked to my recruiter. I found out he quit from the agency that I was using. Now I have another recruiter. We'll probably still keep in touch though. He is opening up an office in Itaewon.

I went to Itaewon and had a lot of time to burn. I walked around Hamilton shopping center and then just roamed the streets. I met Mr Kim at 7pm at the subway station. He was going to take me to a korean restaurant but he couldnt rememeber where it was. I suggested the mexican restaurant so we went there. I had a taco salad. It was good. I had a mountain dew while I was there. Something about the taste was a little off. It wasnt as good as I rememeber it to be. Maybe it tastes different over here or maybe it was because I hadnt had it in so long.

After eating we decided to go out to a bar. I suggested the 80's bar but we went up th ere and it was closed. Why would they have their sign up in the hall if they were closed. the sign said "happy hour 5:30-10:30". we went there around 8:30. It was closed. If its closed take down the sign!! So we ended up going to Geckos for a little while. We just talked a lot while we were there which was pretty hard with the loud music. We stayed there till around 10pm.

When I was on the subway home I remembered I was suppose to call my mom at 10pm. oops. I was side tracked. I didn't remember the card number off the top of my head and I didn't bring it with me so i didn't call.I wasnt planning on staying out that late. In fact I was planning on going to the interview then heading to the body exhibit but I had a change in plans.

I'm hoping the body exhibit is open on Sunday. I'm planning on going there tomorrow. If its not open I'll just hangout in Itaewon. Itaewon is my favorite place so far! Its full of foreigners! Then I'm going to Yiodo full gospel church for a young adult english service at 6:20pm. Then I might stop in Itaewon to eat supper at mcdonalds then head home and finish correcting essays.

In a few weeks its time to start exploring Seoul. There are so many things to see!

No comments: