Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Day 377

Tuesday December 29


I had a new student in my first class. When it was time for class she was out in the hall with her mom. She was crying. I guess she was scared of coming to a new school. The Korean teacher couldn't get her to tell her name. She told me later in class when I asked. She was sitting in one of the other student's desks. That student came in a few mins late. I didn't want to ask the new student to move. The new student moved to the desk beside. Then I got all the students to introduce themselves. Today we just had a speaking test so she didnt really get to see what my class was like. Its funny when the students are telling me what order they want to go in. The first person started and said "I want to be 7th (last)" One girl asked to be first. Then they filled in the order from there. Everyone did a good job. I have to remind them to speak in sentences. The last student made a perfect grade. He spoke in sentences and used correct grammar so I gave him a perfect score. One of my newest students made the lowest grade, 87, because of a few grammar mistakes, but she's only been in speaking class twice so thats pretty good.

My 2nd class was good. I told everyone it was time for our test and gave them the pages to study. Then I gave them at least 15 minutes of study time. They were doing so good during study time while looking at the answers. Then when it came around to test time it was like they forgot. They still did pretty good. I think all their grades were in the mid to high 80's. They made grammar mistakes and some of them didn't give an answer that made sense. Then there were a few times when they would just tell me they didn't know the answer. I told the two boys not to be late to my 6pm class cause they are usually late.

They were 5 minutes late. Today was our newspaper class with the 2 levels combined. We had a pretty good class. Sometimes the 2 chatty boys were talking to each other, but for the most part everyone participated. Today we talked about hedgehogs, The Princess and the Frog, and a dancing traffic cop. They had to read an article about foot binding for homework. They all seemed to think the black princess was funny. I was trying to get a discussion going about hedgehogs. The article said women in England liked to carry hedgehogs in their handbags. I asked the students "should animals be carried in bags?". All of them said "no" but I couldnt get most of them to give a reason. One student gave the answer I was looking for he said "no because the animal might die in the bag" YES!

During my hour break I read some of a book that my mom sent me. It's called "The Pact" by Jodi Picoult. Its a good book. I'm about 2/3 of the way through. Its starting to get more interesting and I want to know what happens. I'll give a summary: in the book there are 2 teenagers who were dating and supposedly had a suicide pact. The girl died and the boy is still alive. The boy is a suspect and has to go to jail and to court.

My last class was good. We just had to do a speaking test. I gave them time to study and then they took the test. Both students did well on the test. Then I let them play a game. We played the English game: red, dress, sock...etc. We were on teams. We played rock, paper, scissors to determine who would be on teams and what order we would go in. They did a good job. It really helps them to think about their vocabulary.

I was watching a tv program tonight about "Ninja Assassin". I might see the movie just to see Rain. He's a Korean singer/actor. I don't normally watch fighting/martial arts movies. Rain is just so handsome!! I should have went to his concert when I had the chance!! He was in Seoul this year. I think around October.

No comments: