Friday, December 18, 2009

Day 365......One year in South Korea...

Thursday December 17

Its officially one year!Its been a good year. Its definatly an adventure. I've had my good days and my bad days, but overall its been a positive experience.

If I would have stayed at my old school I would have been on my way home right now, but I have 2 1/2 more months. I can survive that long. Time has actually been passing pretty quickly lately.

Current weather: 12 degrees celcius (2:59AM Dec 18)
Current exchange rate: 1189 won = 1 USD


It is very very cold!! 12 degrees!! Winter hasn't even officially began yet!It's nice and toasty inside. I only turn on my heat for a few hours a day and it gets hot quickly. My thermostat is turned up high and its 75 degrees inside! but when you go outside it is painfully cold. The cold really doesnt feel good on my face!

I had a pretty good day at school today.

My 1st class was good. We went over 4 pages in writing. They did a good job with most of the concepts.I gave a few mins free time.

The 2nd class was good. 2 of the boys go to Home Plus between classes and are always late. They come in with their ramen and ate it during class. They were almost 10 minutes late. We did one lesson today on number words and a play. We also did an extra lesson. They did good on both lessons and behaved well. Some of the kids did the extra work and then threw it in the trashcan at the end of class. I don't care. It's just busy work anyway but it really is helping them learn how to write correctly. No one had their homework today. I gave them a test on what we did on Tuesday in class. The highest grade was a 60. The 2 boys who were late guessed on the test. One of them made a 30 and the other a 50.

My 3rd class was great. They seemed to enjoyed all the articles…They wanted to skip listening to end quicker so I let them just read as a class instead of listening to a recording first.I made a powerpoint with pictures from the articles. They liked looking at all the pictures. 2 of the girls were having fun with the power point just making it play over and over.haha. One of the kids sang a part of a song and wanted me to help her with the words. She was singing "Santa Claus is coming to town". The students wanted to hear that song, but I didn't have a recording. I let them listen to the only Christmas song I have on my computer--The 12 days of Christmas. They seemed to like it. One kid wanted to know if I had candy…I gave everyone suckers. The kids were looking at my computer so I showed them a picture of my dog, Princess. They thought she was cute. They wanted to know who was taking care of her. Then they asked about my family. After I told them my younger sister's age they wanted to know my age. They said I look younger than my age. They told me that the Korean teacher is only 25. I didn't know I was older than her. She looks young, but you can't ever guess a person's age in Korea because they all look younger.

We had a test in my conversation class. Halfway through the test one of the students asked me "is this a test?". I gave them a listening part first. I played each exampled at least twice and I had an example that I read twice. Then they had a written part to write out conversations. I gave them examples to help them out. Everyone did well on the test. I made it pretty easy. My new student who has been in class for 2 weeks made a perfect score. I was very impressed. 2 of the boys were listening to music on an MP3 player during the test. At least everyone was quiet today and well behaved. The main troublemaker wasn't there. There is a huge difference in behavior when he is there.

My last class was good. The girls didn't do their homework. They were guessing on the test. They actually ended up with pretty good grades-60 and 80.I had a new student. He's very friendly and gets along well with the girls. Most of the new students are usually shy on their first day but he wasn't. Today was a writing class. we were talking about writing dialouge.I think it was a little hard for them. We only covered 2 pages.They kept going off topic and getting out of their seats a lot. I didn't really mind. They are well behaved.The new boy likes to run his fingernails down the chalkboard…oh my..that is the worst sound

No comments: