Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Day 370......외국인 !

Tuesday December 22

Current Temp: 41 F
Exchange: 1186 krw = 1 usd

The weather was awesome today. It was in the 40's all day long which was nice. I'd never complain if every day of winter were like today. After barely making it past the 20's last week I think the 40's are great even though its still colder than what I like. (I love the 70's)

Its funny how the kids here love seeing foreigners. They like seeing people who are different since it is a very homogeneous society. In America we don't think anything of it since we are basically a big melting pot of cultures. We never point and stare at people from different cultures who come to America.

Today I was walking through the subway station and this young kid saw me. I’d say he was maybe 12/13. He got his friend’s attention and said “외국인”(it means foreigner). They think they can just talk in Korean and we won't understand, but I know. I think its funny how many kids will point and say "외국인". He was talking loud enough where I could hear and I looked at them and they both said hello.haha. Someday I should just point at them and say "한국인" (it means Korean). That would be hilarious. Like OMG I just saw a Korean!!

1st class was good.We talked about different situations and what is better: Being rich or famous, getting cash or gift for birthday, and playing lottery or saving money.…One of the students likes to ask me the questions..I didn’t have an answer..like one of the questions was "what do you want for your birthday?".She asked me that question. I honestly don't know.This year I told my family just to get me one present from everybody-a gps.I've always wanted one and I'm constantly getting lost..after we finished we listened and read "The night before Christmas”.

Some of my kids were worried about me in my first class. I turned my back to the classroom to write on the board and they asked me what happened to my back. I didn't know what they were talking about. They said it looked like I got scratched. I told them I didn't know what was wrong. When I got home I looked in the mirror. Its very small but there are about 4 marks and it looks like someone scratched me right near my shoulder. I have no clue what happened! Maybe I did it to myself somehow because no one has touched by back.

The 2nd class was pretty good…We covered questions with where…did pretty good. we also covered writing 2 lessons since we aren’t going to have class Thursday and I need to stay on schedule.…they did good on that also-feelings, poem, -er and est to describe, memory.….the two boys were constanly laughing and talking, but thats pretty normal in that class.

The combined newspaper class was okay. Some of the class was paying attention. 3 boys kept talking to each other and laughing. I had to keep telling them to be quiet and listen. Today we talked about an Orangutan that takes pictures, Koo Hye-Sun(actress) and Golden Disk Awards(Music awards in Korea).

The last class was good. I had 2 students. Today we talked about giving up seats on bus to elderly. They don’t seem to like the idea. If their legs are sick and they think the old person looks fine they wouldn’t give their seat.haha. Then we listened and read "The Night before Christmas". After that, we played some kind of charades game. And one short game of hangman.

This week I just let the kids read "The Night before Christmas" for fun. At least no one said "this is boring".

Tomorrow and Thursday will be easy days! We are just having a Christmas party and movie day. Then its a 3 day weekend!

No comments: