Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Day 369

Monday December 21

Winter is officially here.....

current temp: 30F
Exchange rate: 1185 krw = 1 usd

"If you love someone set him free, if you have to stalk him he probably wasn't yours in the first place."

Thats a quote from "All About Steve"....Sandra Bullock plays this crossword creator who stalks this guy who she was set up on a blind date with. I watched it tonight. I didn't really like it. Sandra's character was a little too crazy. I'd give it 3 stars.

I found out today that Britney Murphey died today.(She's an actress.."Clueless", "Just Married", etc) She was only 32 years old. Some of the reports say she went into a cardiac arrest and couldn't be revived.

A lot of actors/musicans are dying at a young age. There was Heath Ledger a few years ago. Then Michael Jackson a few months ago. Now Britney Murphy. They all seemed to be healthy and then all of a sudden they are dead.

First class was okay. He was actually on time today. First I reviewed the words. We read them together and I had him write them 3 times each. Then we had the test. He attempted 4 words. The ones that he attempted were way off. He only got one right. He could spell the word "eat". I just don’t know what to do. What do you do when students can’t retain the information? He was sleepy today in class. He didn’t go to sleep any in class. He was having trouble with the rhyming words. I just gave him the answers. He does good finding the patterns in words. I just feel like I'm just not helping at all. Currently his average in spelling is a 17.5. How do you help students spell words in a language they barely know? Maybe something will stick. He can't even spell simple words like "See". That was one of our words. He didn't even attempt it.

2nd class was good. The students did good on their newspaper test. We did one speaking lesson about kids getting fat. Its funny how they are telling me that kids are getting fat from eating too much fast food and they are sitting in class eating french fries. ha. Then we read a story-“The night before Christmas” then I let them have free time. The lights kept going off during class. I don’t know why. During free time they were playing a game. One student puts a coat over their head and tries to find the other students while the other students keep moving around so he can't find them. Right near the end of class it was funny when all the students left the room and the person who was "it" was left all alone in the classroom with me. He asked me how long they had been gone. They had just left when he asked.

3rd class was okay. Both students were present. They wanted to have a free day. I can’t give them a free day of no studying. That’s what Wednesday is for. One student didn’t bring her book and the copier was off and I didn't want to wait for it to boot up again so I just wrote all the answers on the board and let her copy them. Today we talked about questions starting with “where” and “why”. They actually did pretty good on these questions.Then we listened and read “the night before Christmas”

Conversation is over! I'm so glad! I had a break today during that time!

we actually had a decent class in my last class. First I reviewed the words. They all did good on the review. I reviewed the pictures and the spelling of the words. Then we had the test. They had to correctly spell the words and identify the articles of clothing. I did give them some hints. Then I told them they could play a game. They played a round of the ghost game and then just sat down and played on Nintendo or phone game or just talked. I didn’t really need to cover anything new today. I’m trying to pace myself so I don’t finish the book too fast. We already finished 2 units out of 9 so we have 7 units left. They did good on the test. It was on articles of clothing. One student did really bad bc he didn’t even try-he got a 12. I gave them 2 stickers if they made over 90. 4 students made 92 or higher. 1 student got one sticker for 88. 2 students made below 60. I gave 3 of the students a new eraser.One student said she used hers up. Then another student said the eraser came out. Also gave one to another student in class.

After work I went to E-mart to eat at Mcdonalds. While I was there I bought 2PM's first full length album. 2PM is a Korean pop band-6 guys-age 19-21. I like thier song "Heartbeat" and "Again and Again". (Go to Youtube.com search for "Heartbeat" 2PM..good video).I like the new cd. While I was there I was looking for some Korean Christmas cards as a souvenier, but there are very few cards in Korean. Its odd that 90% of their Christmas cards are in English. What if you are Korean and you can't read English? Before long English is going to take over the world and if you don't know it then you are screwed.

I think my washing machine is doing something funny again. yuck. It gets almost to the end like minutes before completion and then there is some kind of E2 error and my clothes are soaking wet. Somehow water gets into the drying cycle. I'm going to have to get my team leader to call the repairman again. Probably won't come until Wednesday. Once I tell her on Tuesday she will call and they will probably say they will come on Wednesday. Hopefully they can figure out what is wrong.

1 more day of real work.....then 2 days of parties...then a 3 day weekend!!

9 more days left in 2009....

No comments: