Friday, July 31, 2009

Day 226 Seoul Zoo

July 31 Friday

Seoul Zoo


How to get to the zoo: Line 4-Seoul Grand Park-Exit 2----its a good idea to ride the tram car (800won) to the entrance. Its quite a walk!

Cost: 3,000 won to get into the zoo. Dolphin show is 2,000 won. (less than $5 for both!!)

More info: http://grandpark.seoul.go.kr/ (choose English from the language menu)

I wanted to go to the zoo today. Last night I asked my friend, Lesley, to tag along if she wanted to since we are both on vacation and she was back from her trip. She said she would come along.

We timed it really well where she would be on the train and I would just hop on when it got around to my stop.

It was only 5,000 won to enter the zoo and see the dolphin show. (3,000 to get into the zoo and 2,000 for the dolphin show)That's a great price. (less than $5). I looked up the price for Riverbanks (Columbia, SC) and its $9.75 to get in.

We looked at some of the African animals first. (Lesley is from South Africa). Then we went to the dolphin show. The venue for the dolphin show was packed! We got a pretty good seat. I enjoyed seeing the show. they also had some seals who were doing various things.

Then we took our time walking around the zoo looking at the animals and taking pictures. It was very hot outside! We were sweating a lot.

I think we finally got through around 6:30 or so. We saw almost everything. There were a few sections that we skipped. The animals are put in sections by countries. Each section has a theme-African animals, Australian animals, South American animals, etc. A lot of the animals were resting so I didn't get great photos. It was hard to take photos of certain animals because they were behind bars or in a cage. I fed a llama. They had some carrot slices that you could feed to them. There were a lot of kids who were feeding the llamas.

I wanted to see the rose garden also but I just decided not to. It was hot and we were tired so I decided to leave.

When we got on the subway it was packed on line 4! Every car was filled to capacity it seemed. All the seats were full, there were people in the aisle and near the doors. not many people were actually getting off so it stayed full for a while. We stood the whole time. Then we transferred to line 6 and it was pretty full also. I sat down for a short while.

Afterwards I went to the gym. I was almost done on the treadmill(I only did 30 mins today since I got a lot of exercise in at the zoo) and the cute guy at the front desk came to talk to me. He got on the treadmill like he was going to workout and turned it on then turned it off. He always asks if I've eaten dinner. (Its part of their culture--they use it as a greeting, but he uses it in the literal sense bc he wants to know why or what I ate)I told him not yet and he wants to know why. I told him I had just gotten back from the zoo and I came straight to the gym. I had to repeat it a few times for him to understand what I said. Then we talked for a little while about the zoo. Afterwards he said "Sorry my English is not good". I told him that I can understand what he says (maybe that will boost his confidence). His English is not as bad as he thinks it is. Then as I was leaving he was at the reception desk. He saw my camera and I asked him if he wanted to see my pictures. I showed him my pictures and he wanted to know the English name for some of the animals. Then I took a picture of him and the girl at the reception area. The girl wanted me to take the picture. He wanted to know why were all my pictures of the animals and none of me. I don't take pics of myself when I go places.

 

No comments: