Saturday, July 25, 2009

day 219...way too busy!

July 24 Friday

I didn't get much sleep! It was almost 2am when I finally got all my things moved over from one computer to the other. Then I wanted to check my email. I think I finally layed down around 3am. And I couldnt get to sleep.I was still awake at 4am and I had to get up at 7:30am! I made it through the day though. I was wide awake all day long and I had less than 3 hours of sleep. I finally got tired around 11:40pm. So I took a series of naps that lasted about 40 minutes or so. I'd take a nap for 20 mins. then set it for 10 more mins. Then 10 more.

I don't think I want to go on vacation again! Its a heck of a lot of work. I had to make all of my monthly tests to leave with the sub. Plus I had to write lesson plans for all 10 of my classes.

We started our new schedule today. I had to be at work at 9am. I had 40 mins to prepare for my classes. I had to make weekly tests for all my classes. I was done with all of my classes at 1:15 because they were all back to back. It seemed like the day went by much faster.

My first class was good. It started at 9:40am. 1 student was absent. I also had a new student. We took our test and they all made a perfect score. Then we started the new material. I let them read the story twice. They all love to tell me what parts they want to read. My other classes arent that enthusiastic. We had a good class. I wish all of my classes would be as good as this class.

My 2nd class was good. 1 student was absent and I had a new student. We covered a few pages of material. We had a lot of class interaction today. In our book we are talking about 'what's in your backpack?'. They have a list of vocab words like jump rope, ruler, notebook, comic book, and soccer ball. Then they have to draw some of those items in a backpack and talk about whats in the back pack. 'i have a soccer ball, a ruler, and a notebook'. Then I get them to ask their friend 'what's in your backpack'. Then they tell me what is in their friend's backpack.

I had to go to the teacher's room to get a new book for the student. While I was out 2 students were in the hall. They said "anyeonghasayo" (hello) to me and I replied back in Korean. The students in my class heard me speaking to the boys. When I came back in class they said "say it again". They get so excited when I speak just a little Korean. Then they asked me to repeat some words they said. They never tell me what I'm saying though.haha.

Then I had to go to my level 10 class which I don't normally teach on Fridays but they switched the schedule to Monday and Friday instead of Monday and Wednesday so I had to teach them 3 times this week. I didn't know which book they would bring to class. Both of the boys brought their writing books so we covered another writing unit. We usually do writing on Monday so I told them to bring their speaking book on Monday.

Then I had my 4th and last class for the day. 3 of my students were absent. We took a test and we covered a part of a writing unit. It was a very quiet class without the 3 boys. One of my students lost his writing book so I had to make copies for him.

After class I had to finish making monthly tests and I typed out all of my lesson plans. I also took time to eat lunch. We ordered from kimbab heaven and had it delivered.

I could have left at 4 but I wasn't finished with my lesson plans. The sub came in to meet me and I had to meet with him to tell him about my classes. I showed him all my materials and went over what he should cover in every class. I wrote out detailed lesson plans. (thats why it takes so long--I'm very detailed).My sub is a Korean guy who speaks good English. He may be a Korean American. I didn't ask. I gave him my number just in case there was anything I didn't cover with him.

The Korean teacher is always commenting on how detailed I am. I can't help it. I have to include all the details. That's why my blogs are so long! So when I'm looking for a job and I tell the interviewer that I'm 'detail oriented' its the truth!

After I got finished meeting with the sub I had to print out all of my monthly tests and organize them by classes. I finally left at 5:45pm. The korean teachers were still there doing work.

On Thursday I'm going to Namsam tower with the head teacher from my school. She's bringing along her neice and nephew. They live in Canada and can speak English well.

Then I went to the gym. I skipped the past 2 days. I walked on the treadmill for 40 minutes while watching the UK's next top model. After I was done I stopped to talk to the personal trainer. He wanted to know why I was there early. (Im usually there at 10pm but I was leaving the gym around 7:30pm) I told him I was working days instead of nights for a few weeks. I told him I was on vacation and he asked where I was going. I told him I was staying here. He asked if I was going to the beach. I told him I might go to the beach. Then he goes into his 'you should lose the weight.'I know he means well, but I just hate hearing that so much.

No comments: