Monday, July 27, 2009

Day 222 Yeouido Park, 63 Building

July 27 Monday (click on the albums to be telported to my picasa site to view the album!)

Well its my first day of spending a week being a tourist. Today I decided to go out to Yeouido.

It was a nice day out. No rain! It was very hot though. It was in the 80s but it felt a lot hotter. I don't think its gotten out of the 80's this summer, but its really humid so it feels a lot hotter. The monsoon season hasn't been as bad as I was expecting. There have only been 2 really heavy rains in the past month. The rest were just normal. And the forecast keeps changing everyday. I looked yesterday and it said it was suppose to be raining on Tuesday. I looked again today and now its suppose to be partly cloudy on Tuesday.

Yeouido is a large island next to the Han River in Seoul, South Korea. It is Seoul's main business and investment banking district. Its 8.4 square kilometers are home to some 30,988 people

My first stop was Yeouido Park. Its a lovely place. I took lots of pictures.

Yeouido Park (Summer 09)


Yeouido Park was formed in 1999 through the reclamation of a patch of land, known as Yeouido Square or 5/16 square, which had lain under asphalt for 27 years and was used for various large public gatherings

How to get to Yeoido Park: Yeouinaru Subway station (Line 5-Purple) Exit 1 walk straight for about 5 minutes

I also walked around and got some pictures of the Han River.

Han River (Seoul)


Then I went to the 63 building. There are 63 floors. 3 are below ground and 60 are above ground. I walked around for a little while and ate at Lotteria. The 63 building has tons of stuff to do. I was only there to go all the way to the top to see the view. There is a seaworld (aquarium), wax museum, IMAX, art museum on the top floor and other stores and restuarants. I chose to go to Skyart which is an art museum on the 60th floor. It costed $12,000 to go to the top. I didn't really want to go to the museum but I just wanted to get pictures of Seoul from the 60th floor. I think it was a waste of money. You have to take pictures behind the window and there is always a glare from so many lights that are there to illuminate the artwork. I didnt get many good pictures. It would be great if they had a place where you could take pictures where there weren't so many lights that cause a glare.

The DLI (Daehan Life Insurance) 63 Building is a skyscraper on Yeouido Island, overlooking the Han River in Seoul, South Korea. At 249 meters (817 ft) high, it is the 3rd tallest building in South Korea and the 135th tallest building worldwide. 63 refers to the building's 63 official stories, of which 60 are above ground level and 3 are basement floors. Construction was completed in 1985. At that time, the 63 Building was the tallest building in Asia; it lost this title to the OUB Centre one year later, but remained the tallest building in South Korea until Mok-dong Hyperion Towers, Tower A surpassed it in 2003.

The lower floors house a large shopping area with approximately 90 stores, an Imax Theater, and an aquarium. A convention center and banquet hall are also housed within the building. The observation deck (known as 63 Golden Tower) on the top floor is a popular place to go to see a good view of Seoul. Special observation elevators are also available; they are equipped with windows to enable their passengers to view the city as they ride up to (or down from) the observation deck.



**63 Golden Tower wasn't on the guide map that I was given. I guess they transformed it in to an art gallery. And I read that it only costed 5,000 won to go to the observation deck. I asked information about the observation deck and they said I had to go to SkyArt.

63 Building


How to get to 63 building: Subway line 1, Daebang Station, then use the free shuttle at the stop 40 meters from the exit towards Yeouido or you can take Yeouinaru (Line 5) Exit 4 and walk about 10 or so minutes.

Tomorrow's Agenda: Coex Mall-aquarium

No comments: