Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Day 217

July 22 Wednesday

My 1st class is becoming one of my favorite classes. Its one of my larger classes with 9 students but they are well behaved. They do the speaking parts when I ask them to. They all participate. They all want me to call on them. "me next, me next". They love to read the parts in the story. Today I let them read the story 3 times. They were so enthusiastic and they would run up to me and tell me what part they wanted to read. We had a good class today.

My 2nd class is my least favorite class. They are devils-3 boys ages 10-11. The girl has been absent for the past 2 days. They are loud and they don't listen and they are late for class. There's a break in between and they have 10 mins. They decide to go to Home Plus before class and they didnt get back till a few mins after class should have started. They tell me that someone broke in front of them in the line. It was funny hearing them describe it. "we were at the desk and this lady human-then they make a motion of someone going around them (they didn't know how to put it into words! and the desk is the register). They described it many times. It was so funny how they referred to the woman as a 'lady human.'They begged for a game but I told them no. I said if you dont be good you dont get to play a game. 2 of the boys were sharing a drink. The one who bought the drink was drinking it from the bottle. Then the other boy was holding his head back and the other boy poured it in to his mouth. Then he spilt some in the chair. They ran to the bathroom to get tissue. All 3 boys went. They kept spilling it. Then they wouldnt do their work. No one did their homework. No one brought their essay. They don't listen in class.

My last class was okay. I have 10 students in the class. Half of them had their essays. A lot of them didn't do their homework. I asked one student if he had his homework and essay and he told me he was too busy to do his homework. We covered a good amount of material. The students were being loud today so I had to keep telling them to be quiet. Its funny how they seperate themselves in class. All the girls sit on the left and the guys sit on the right-6 girls and 4 guys.

After class I was packing up my things and the korean teacher told me about our get together tonight. She mentioned it to me last week but then never said anything else about it so I didn't know if we were doing it or not. She said we were. I stayed to hangout. We went to a restaurant and had galbi. There were 8 of us in all. 3 math teachers and 3 elementary teachers and 2 assistants. They put me on the spot and asked me what korean words did I know. I'm sitting there trying to think of all the korean that I've learned. haha. I had a hard time thinking of what I knew! The food was delicious. I like the salad, galbi and steamed eggs. I drank cider (which they said was like 7up) because they didnt have cola at the restaurant. After we finished eating around midnight we went to another restaurant to have drinks. They all had Soju and beer. I had coke. One of the assistants only drank water (He was the designated driver-he took 3 of us home). They were all having a good time and getting drunk. Its weird going out during the middle of the week. Going out for drinks is a big part of Korean culture. We were finally finished at 2am. So we hungout and socialized from 10pm till 2am.

Galbi or kalbi generally refers to a variety of gui or grilled dishes in Korean cuisine that is made with marinated beef (or pork) short ribs in a ganjang-based sauce (Korean soy sauce).[1] In the Korean language, galbi literally means "rib" and can often indicate uncooked ribs. In addition, the dish's full name is galbi gui, although "gui" (grilling) is commonly omitted to refer to it.

Since galbi is generally made with beef ribs, it may be called "sogalbi" (소갈비) or "soegalbi" (쇠갈비) in Korean, whose prefix, "so" or "soe" (beef) is often omitted as well. However, just like the literal meaning, galbi dish also can be made with pork ribs or chicken. In such cases, the dish is called "dwaeji galbi" (돼지갈비) or "dak galbi" (닭갈비) to emphasize the main ingredient


The Korean drinking culture is well known as Korea has the highest per capital alcohol consumption in the world.

When I came home I had a note on my door. My package arrived when I wasnt home and now its waiting at the post office!! I can go pick it up tomorrow!!

No comments: