Tuesday, September 29, 2009

day 285 I think he looks like a nerd

Monday Sept 28

last night my washing machine started giving me trouble. I washed 2 loads and there were some things in the 2nd load that I really wanted to be dry so I put them in to dry. well then some error happened and water started coming in during the dry cycle and the washing machine stopped working so my clothes were soaking wet.

I told my team leader at my school about my problem. She got in touch with someone and they should be coming to fix it tomorrow. I also told her about some of my lights being out so they can fix that at the same time.

I was told today that I didn't have to go to my conversation class. They were having an exam. I was suppose to give them a test today. Oh well. We'll take the test next week. It was nice to have a break.

My first class was good. I have one student and we learn spelling. She made a 50 on her spelling test. Then we covered 4 pages of material. Then we played hangman.

My 2nd class was good. We went over 2 lessons in our speaking book today. One about amusement parks and one about shopping. We had a good class. They like to ask me all kinds of questions. They asked me why I didn't have a boyfriend. They said "you have beauty. why don't you have a boyfriend?" Its funny. One of the boys asked me when I was going back to the USA. I told him I was leaving in March. Then all the students were disappointed. They don't want me to leave in March. One of them asked if I would ever come back to see them. I said i didn't know. Then they asked me questions about a student "Is she beauty, cool or cute?" I said all 3. That made them happy. They laughed when I said it for the boys also. one of the girls whispered to me. She said "do you think he's cute? I think he looks like a nerd". haha. I dont know where my new student is. He came one time and now he missed 2 classes.

My 3rd class was good also. I had to give them a speaking test today. I just decided I would ask them 10 questions each and grade them on a scale from 1-10 on each question. I gave them all pretty high marks although they weren't perfect. One of them did a really good job. Maybe I was a little too lenient but I don't think the grade really matters. You can have a bad day and forget to study and make a 50 but that doesn't mean you didn't understand the material. I gave them time to study but no one was studying so I asked 'who wants to go first?' They actually were excited about picking their order. One student kept begging to go second but 2 people called 2nd and 3rd before him. I'll work more in the coming months to make sure they know how to answer the question in complete sentences. Some of them write down the answers but some don't and they end up not talking in complete sentences. They all like English though. They say its easy and fun.

My last class was pretty good today. They begged and begged for a game. I got to a good stopping place so I let them play. We took a test in the beginning of class. They never seem to do well on the test. I always tell them in advance so they have time to study and I give them time to study before the test. The highest grade was a 63 and the lowest was a 42. One student always has low marks on spelling. If they really applied themselves and studied they could do a good job. My student who had the flu last week was back in class today. We covered a few pages in class today. Then I let them play a game. They were actually pretty good during the game. They didn't get too loud. I told them no game on Wednesday and that we were going to study hard. Hopefully on Wednesday I can get caught up somewhat. Wed is suppose to be our newspaper class but on my lesson plans it says do spelling so I'm using that day to catch up on spelling since we don't have class on Friday (its a holiday!)

No comments: