Saturday, September 26, 2009

Day 283...Mass Freeze and Wolmi-do Island

Saturday Sept 26

Wolmi-do


At 12:30 am my friend that is a soccer coach called me. Its really hard to talk to him just because his English isn't that good. He called to tell me that he got a new job. Now he works in Gangnam as a middle/high school soccer coach. (He used to work in Eungnam with small kids-the office was right next door). We talked for a few minutes.He asked why I didn't speak Korean.haha. He said I've been in Korea for a long time but I can't speak Korean. (well its true! I didn't put much effort into it because its not going to have any relevance when I move to the USA-now im learning slowly-its difficult!). Then his English speaking friend called me. He was telling me that his friend just wanted to call me and tell me he moved to a new job. He wanted to tell me because he considers me to be a friend. I haven't seen him in a long time. Its been a long time since I've seen his English speaking friend also. Both of them call me from time to time. Usually I can't understand because they call when they are in a loud restaurant. This morning they actually called and there was no background noise.

I headed out to COEX mall today for the Mass Freeze. We met at 1:30 to talk about where and what time. We originally wanted to do it in the courtyard near the main entrance but there was a competition there so we had to move inside. A lot of people showed up. We were told to wear something blue. A lot of people did, but some didn't. I think security was wondering what was going on because there were so many people (mostly foreigners) congregating near the trade tower. We were told that the freeze would happen at 2:30pm. Then we went on our way to do whatever until that time. Everyone started congregating around the area of the freeze around 2:20. At 2:30 we found out that the freeze was moved to 2:40. It was funny to see so many people crowded into one area. I saw security walking around. They were probably wondering what was going on. We did the freeze at 2:40 for 5 minutes. (you stand still for 5 mins). I saw my friend Lesley there so we decided she would hold a camera and I would pretend to pose. 5 mins isn't long but it feels so long when youre standing still. During the freeze there were people walking around and taking pictures. After we ended the freeze the people standing around starting clapping. haha. It was a neat thing to be a part of. I'll post a link to a video once someone puts it up on facebook or youtube. 468 people signed up as a "yes" on the facebook event page. I don't know how many showed up.

At night I went to Incheon to meet the guy I met on the subway last week. I had to transfer twice. All of the subway lines were packed. No where to sit so I stood for most of the 1 hour 15 min journey. We met at Juan station. I was a few mins late. I got on the wrong train. Line number 1 has 4 different lines. I thought I was on the right one, but I was in a rush. You have to rush when you are transferring so you can catch the next train. I saw a bunch of people running up the stairs to get the train and I followed them. I guess I got on the wrong side. We only went 2 stops when I realized it. Then i got on the train in the opposite direction. He told me to meet him at exit 5. Then when i got there it took him a while to find exit 5. He said he lives nearest to exit 1 but he doesn't know why he told me exit 5. We went to eat first. I chose to eat chicken. I looked at the menu and there was something that said it was chicken covered in a sweet, tangy sauce. I thought it sounded good. Oh my it was hot! When I saw sweet, tangy sauce I wasn't thinking spicy. I was thinking it would be sweet. It was a fire in my mouth! I ate 3 or 4 little pieces (like wing size). I drank 2 cans of coke with it!
Then he met 2 of his friends and briefly spoke with them. Then we got into a cab and went to Wolmi-do. Our cab driver loved to drive fast! He was going up to 80 km/hr(49 mi/hr) at one point in a 60 km/hr(37 mi/hr) zone. Only 49 mi/hr--it felt faster than that!
First we walked past the amusement park. Wolmi-do has an amusement park which looks like a state fair that you would see in the USA. We watched one of the rides. It was called 'sling shot' (google it). There was a camera to watch their reactions.They even had their own little viewing area set up where you could sit in chairs and watch people on the screen. There was quite a crowd.Then we walked down "culture street". There is an area with rocks where you can sit by the water. You aren't allowed to swim in the water. There was a tour boat on the water and they were shooting fireworks. There were also a lot of other people fishing and shooting fireworks. We went to a jazz bar called Verve. They were playing english jazz music. nice. We both don't drink so I had coke and he had tea. Then we went back over to the amusement park area and watched some of the rides. Then we left.

No comments: