Monday, September 21, 2009

Day 278....a good Monday..what?

Monday Sept 21

The guy I met last night on the subway texted me at 8:45am. He said "good morning. how are you?" and I replied back "not awake till noon". Then he asked if he disturbed my sleep and I replied back "Yes". Then he wanted to know when I would wakeup. When I did wake up he texted me for a while. I found out he is from Pakistan. He works for a company. He's been here 5 years. He lives in Incheon. A long way from Seoul. We also chatted on yahoo at night. He keeps telling me how cute I am. He says it a LOT. (and I looked like crap yesterday! very little makeup and my hair was in a ponytail. jeans and a tshirt.)

I am a foreign guy magnent. I'm also an American guy repellant.Haha. American guys never approach me.

Ok so I actually had a decent day at work.

My first class was good. I only have one student and we work on spelling. She made 100 on her spelling test. I only had to cover 3 pages in class today so we finished early and played hangman.

In my second class we talked about cars and waking up. We had a good class. This class is funny. They are always throwing out compliments because I let them eat and drink during class. They say stuff like "you are beautiful, nice, kind, slim, etc.".haha. One of the students asked me if I enjoyed teaching. I told her "sometimes". I like the good classes. She asked me if I liked the class she is in. I told her yes. (they are a good class!) They were all excited when I said I liked their class. One of the students changed his name. I couldn't say it without laughing. His new name is "David Robert Joseph Beckham John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt Deskkkk" Thats a mouthful! I told him it was too long and he told me told me "my friend has a long name. Its john jacob jingleheimer schmidt and his name is my name too" oh my. These kids are silly! We were talking about what time we go to bed and get up and they were amazed that I stay up so late and sleep late.haha.

In my 3rd class we talked about 'what did you do yesterday?' and 'who are they? what do they do?'. It was hard to keep them focused today! They want to talk about other things. like 'poo poo'. I don't know what their fascination with poo poo is! We talk about it every class. Today one of the students asked the weirdest question I've ever heard. He said "what color is your poo poo?" OMG! Then he asked me all sorts of colors. "is it red, blue, yellow, green, black, brown". I told him it was brown. We laugh a lot in this class. I had to keep telling them to get in their seats and be quiet. One of the boys likes to ask me all the questions that I ask them. They were surprised by how late I stay up also! One of the boys was asking me about my kg. I told him I didn't know. He wanted to know my height. I know it-158 cm. One of the boys asked me if I was 'heavy' in the USA. I said I was. (its true). After I said that another boy said "Teacher is not fat".haha. The students here don't think I'm fat. that's nice.

My middle school class is one of my least favorite. Half of the class doesn't want to do their work. I tell them what part to do and they don't fill in it. I go around the room and point to it and tell them to do it. There are only a few students in that class who actually act like they care about learning. The rest just want to sit around and talk and play with their cellphones. Some of them are always studying for vocabulary during my class. I can't get them to practice talking with a partner. I ask multiple times and only a few people actually do it. I'm giving them a test next week. If they haven't been paying attention they won't do well on the test. There are a few who I think won't do well because they never pay attention and don't do the work in the book. One of the questions in the book was when is Korean independance day. They were asking me for the answer! I don't know! They live in Korea. They should know. That's like not knowing the USA independance day. (I looked it up on Google now--Its August 15..its when they got independance from Japan). I've got to make 3 versions of the test. I have one student who missed unit 1 and a new student who missed units 1 and 2.

My last class was actually good today! 2 of the students were absent. The other 3 students worked hard and actually behaved for me today. It was like night and day! We covered a lot of material but I'm still one day behind. I got all the way up to the point where I should have finished on Friday. They were so good that I agreed to let them have free time for about 10 minutes.

I had a lot of work to do tonight! I made study guides for my 3 levels of writing. I'm giving writing tests on Thursday and next Wednesday. I made the test for my conversation test on Thursday. I also came up with questions for the newspaper class for them to do as they go along to keep them occupied.

I rarely give homework because I don't know what to do!!

Tuesday or Wednesday I need to come up with criteria for their speaking test which will be Monday and Tuesday of next week. I'm going to do an oral test and pick criteria on how to grade like if they spoke in complete sentences, if the understood the question and gave a right answer, using correct grammer, etc.

I have so much work to do!!

No comments: