Thursday, September 17, 2009

Day 273...the class from Hell

Wednesday Sept 16

Nearly 4 weeks and still no package...WHY!!!!!!!!where in the world is my package?! Some idiot probably lost it. I try to buy some decent clothes online from America because of Korea's HATE for fat people (big clothes are hard to find and are ugly and not flattering) and then after spending $114 on clothes they never make it here. Plus the shipping was outrageous. Plus I had items from home that are hard to find here or cost an arm and a leg! I know I'm fat and I need to lose weight but I still need some clothes to wear!!!!!!!

Days like today make me want to leave..How will I ever make it 165 more days?..I'm glad its not 165 school days..I'd be absolutely insane! I already am!...Things are getting really rough right near the end-5 months and 2 weeks left...

Today the Korean teacher gave me some stickers. She said when the students do something good I can give them a sticker. If they get 100 stickers they get a prize. I'm going to give them to classes that do their homework and work hard in class. I gave out 2 to 3 students in my first class. One for having homework and one for doing a good job in class. I gave stickers to all of my students in my 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Elem. class. In my last class I only gave a sticker to 1 student. You'll see why when you read about that class.

In my first class we were doing the newspaper activities on the website. I only have one student so its the only class that I can actually keep up with!! We read the article together, then we listen, then do questions.

We did a writing unit in my 2nd class. I think they all grasped the concept of main idea and details today. They got the answers right in their book. They all seemed excited when I went around the room checking answers and letting them know they did a good job. At the end of class I gave them all stickers. Then they asked if I would buy them something at the store. I agreed today. They are always complaining about being hungry or telling me they didn't eat lunch or I havent eaten in 5 hours.(do their parents not feed them? or give them money to get something?) I let them get something that was 700 won. It won't be a regular thing. Just something occasional as a reward.

My 3rd class also did a writing unit. A very simple unit about naming parts of a sentence and writing sentences about themselves. Once I wrote example sentences they caught on quickly. They were laughing all during class. I let them goof off since the lesson is so short. They go off topic a lot and I just let them go off topic. They were asking me a ton of questions. Most of their talk today revolved around "poo poo and bloody poo poo". These kids love talking about "poo poo". They draw pictures and tell me the name in korean. Its hilarious.They love to run their fingers down the chalkboard. They think its so funny. The sound makes me cringe!!

I had one of my middle school conversation classes today. They like to goof off, but at least they read along and participate and fill in the answers in their book. Today we were talking about food. It was so funny. The book had some korean foods listed and they had to match what the food was. They would laugh at me when I got the pronunciation wrong. They are a good class. One of the boys ripped up his copy of the lesson. He didn't intentionally rip it up. He just thought it was funny to rip it up and pretend like he was eating it. Then another boy put the paper in his mouth also. One of the boys laughs every time I call his name. (his name was Jjin Dda. I looked it up on the internet and it means "silly person")(oh and while I was searching I found the mother load of Korean cuss words-not that I need them) 3 of the boys wanted to change their name today to Coca Cola, Question Mark, and abracadabra.

My last class of the day is a total nightmare. Every class I feel like running out and slamming the door and never coming back. So what if they don't learn? (I never do this..i wish I could!)We had to go to the computer lab to do the English newspaper online. I hate it! Whenever you sit kids at a computer they want to play around. I wish the people at my school were smart enough to block all websites that weren't part of classroom activities. At the beginning of class I wrote the website on the board. I also wrote 'no other websites''no music''no games'. Do you think they listened? NO! all of them except one girl were looking at other websites and listening to music. I'd hear the music and ask them to stop and they would say "im not listening to music". I could hear it! Our activities don't have any music! 2 of the kids said they had already done the activities for homework in the Korean teacher's class. Why in the heck is she assigning stuff I'm suppose to do in my class for homework? If that's their homework then what the hell am I suppose to do in my class? I told them to do it again. I want to do the activities as a class, but there's no way I can monitor what all the students are doing at one time. When my back is turned they will look at other stuff. The students finish way too quickly. I told them to read it twice, listen to it if they had headphones and then answer the questions. I don't think they are reading it. I think there are about 9 articles. One student finished in 10 minutes. I told him he went to fast and he said "im fast". There's no way he read all of the articles in 10 mins. I think he just opened it, pretended to read and answered the questions quickly without even caring what the real answer was. I can't keep up with every student and make them all get on the same page. I have no clue how to control this class!!!!! I had to keep yelling at them to only go to the newspaper website. no matter how much I yelled they wouldnt close their other websites. They all finished way too early so I made them open the website and we were going to read the articles all together. They wouldnt cooperate. We would read it out loud and I would ask really easy questions and the answers were right in front of their face and they would say "I don't know". Even when I pointed out the answer to them. OH MY GOD! I WANTED TO JUST LEAVE CLASS AND RUN OUT! THEY DRIVE ME CRAZY!! These students are horrible! (They are my only bad elementary class) I only gave out one sticker in the class. One student asked for a sticker because she didn't go to any other websites. I gave her one. At least she followed my directions. The others begged and I said no! One student begged me and said "I'll be good next time". I told her if she was good next time she'd get one. I'm not giving it out in advance!! She has to work for it! I think this class will never get any stickers from me unless they stop being so bad!! They keep begging for games, but they aren't getting any!! Treat me like crap and then expect to play a game during my class. No, I don't think so!

I'm going to have to make worksheets for them to fill out as they are reading. It's going to be a lot of work for me, but I have to keep them occupied somehow!

Oh my goodness...this class is going to cause me to have a mental breakdown! I wish I could just catch swine flu and die! and I hope they'd get the teacher from Hell! They cause me to have so much stress.

I skipped the gym tonight because I just didn't feel like going. I was in no mood to go to the gym.

I feel so lonely at my school. I just sit at my desk playing on the internet while they sit around and talk in Korean all day long. The co-teacher doesn't even act friendly. She's not mean or anything. She just doesn't make any effort to get to know me.

No comments: