Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Day 279--my picture is on a brochure at McDonalds

Tuesday Sept 22

I found out that my friend, Johnny Depp(an office assistant at our school), is quitting next week. Sept 30 is his last day. We used to talk a lot, but everyone said he talked to me too much so his boss told him he couldn't talk to me. Now we don't really talk that much. Now I'll have no friends at school. I knew he was quitting sometime soon. He told me a while ago that he was quitting around September.

I had a good day today.

They changed the desks around today. They are all in a circle instead of in lines.

My first class didn't want to study much. They asked if they could have a short study time and play a game. We studied one lesson. Then I let them have free time. They boy is always sleepy. He was asleep when class started. I woke him up. During free time he laid his head back down. When I went in the class they wanted to know about the person with the long name (from MWF class) and I showed them the name he picked. They said he stuck up his middle fingers behind the teacher's back when they turned around. These kids are bad! They love "fuck you" even though they don't know what it means. They also like to stick up their middle fingers. They were asking me what 'fuck you' meant. I told them it was a swear word. So they looked up what a swear word was. then they were looking up 'fuck you' in their phone dictionaries.

My 2nd class was the best class of the day. We covered 2 lessons. They read along with me and answered. They even used complete sentences. We had a great class. After the lesson I gave them free time.

My 3rd class was my English newspaper class. One of the computers was acting crazy so one of the students couldn't do the work properly. It was so slow. I have to teach the class in the lab but the computers are crappy and slow and there aren't enough headphones for everyone. crazy! I told the students to read the articles twice and answer the questions. There were 2 students who were actually following directions and trying to comprehend what the articles meant. The others were trying to go faster and just get to the questions. Some of them just click on random answers without reading the questions.

During my dinner break from 7-8 I went to McDonalds to eat. While I was there a Korean guy spoke to me. He was probably in his late 20's. His English was great.He was sitting at a table near me and he asked me if I was an English teacher. I told him I was. Then he wanted to know what school I worked for. He had never heard of the school. He actually had a brochure from my school in his hand. He looked at it and saw my picture and said "thats you". Yep. They have brochures with my picture on them in McDonalds to advertise our school. he asked if he could join me. He was trying to see if I knew of any high school students who were looking for private lessons.(i teach elementary) He wants to teach private lessons to high school students. He thinks that high school students don't get enough time to practice their English in class. (or they could be like my students--you give them the chance but they dont want it!)

My last class was good.We talked about cars and waking up. We had a good class. We finished a few mins early and they played hangman. The office assistants came in the middle of my class to fix the cctv camera. why couldnt they wait till my class was over? They like to spy on me. I just recently found out that they can watch the camera from their computer. I thought you could only see it on the monitor out in the lobby. you cant hear sound but you can see what is going on. At least they can't watch my classes in the computer lab.

While I was at the gym the guy from Pakistan texted me. He wanted to talk to me on messenger. I told him I'd be home in about 30 mins and he waited on me. We talked on messenger for about 30 mins or so. He keeps telling me how cute i am. Thats funny. Cause right now I feel crappy about the way I look!

No comments: