Saturday, September 12, 2009

day 268 "If I don't have water I'll die"

Friday September 11

Its Sunday and I'm finally getting around to writing this!.

Friday was crazy.

My first class was the best out of all of my ENIE classes. I only have one student so we read the article together, then she listens, then she answers questions. She has trouble answering the questions so I show her where to look in the article to find the answer.

My 2nd class was not good. I had 7 students and only 6 computers. Only 3 of the computers have headphones so the students can listen. I asked the TA if we had more headphones and he said no. The students tell me that they dont have a headphone at their computer but I just have to tell them that I don't have any. They had to sign up for their ID/PW and one student kept telling me that she didn't know her ID# (like a SS#). I didn't know what to do. I don't know her personal number. Then the student that didn't have a computer was complaining about not having a computer and I didn't know what to tell him. He finally got on a computer and another student just sat over to the side and played a game on his pencil case (his pencil case has a built in game). Its hard to keep everyone on the same page. They all want to look at other websites and I kept telling them to only go to the school website. One of the students was sharing the headphones with another student. She would listen, then hand the headphones over to the other student. They keep trying to tell each other the answers. I told them to stop.

At least i'll have more time next week for the class because I won't have to wait for everyone to sign up for an ID/PW.

I had 3 people in my 3rd class so it worked out nicely. They all got to use the headphones. I'd have them listen first, then we would read together as a class, then answer questions. That technique didn't work so well. They found out that you can speed up the talking up to 400% so they would do that instead of listening to it normal speed. Why would they put a button to speed it up to 400%?? WHY? WHo can understand at that speed? I told them to listen to it normally. They keep listening to it too fast because its funny. Well we arent there to have fun! Then one student found out that it shows you the answer so he'd memorize the answers and take the test again. I started watching him to make sure he didn't cheat.

The ENIE classes are out of control! The students cheat, I can't keep everyone on the same page, they want to look at other websites, they try to listen too fast, they dont read the article, there arent enough headphones or computers. I think the class is good, but I think we shouldn't do it on the computers because its too distracting. I wish I could just print the articles out and print out the tests and jsut do it in the classroom. It would be a whole lot smoother.

I want us to do it as a class. We read the article, then I'd like for everyone to be able to listen, then do the questions. Its impossible to make sure everyone is in the same place.

The Korean teacher who quit comes back once a week on Friday to teach 2 middle school classes.

My last class of the day was a nightmare! The students would not listen. I had to keep yelling at them. 2 of the boys kept trying to cheat on the test. I would call out the word then everyone would run up to me and ask "is this right?" I gave them time to study before the test and since no one was studying I just told them that we were going to take the test and then they want to study. I said no because I gave them time and no one used the time. They were being too loud and they wouldn't stay on the same page as me. They want to move ahead. One of the boys asked to go to the bathroom and I told him he needs to go during break and he doesn't understand. Finally I just let him go. Then after he got back he asked if he could get water. (the bathroom is right beside the water cooler) I don't know why he didn't get some while he was there. I told him no. Then he complains "If I don't have water I'll die". I didn't let him go. It looks bad if I keep letting everyone leave the room during class. I didn't get finished with what pages I needed to accomplish because they were being so bad. Now I have to finish those pages on Monday. They begged for a game but I made them work until it was time to go. Since they were so bad their homework was to write all the new words (15 in all) 10 times each. I usually make them write it 5 times during class. They asked for a game on Monday but I said no. I'm not giving them any games until they can learn to be good in class, quit working ahead in the book and quit being too loud.

We are 2 weeks into the semester and I havent given any tests yet. I don't know what to do!! I could give writing tests, but I dont know what to put on the speaking tests. We arent learning any vocab or concepts, just speaking about things.

Monday in one class we will be talking about makeup and household chores. How many questions can I come up with for that topic?? I'm not worried about the 2nd class. There are some good things in their book and they can keep themselves entertained. I guess I'll just do as much speaking as I can and just let them play games for the rest of class. I could just find some conversation questions off the internet and let them speak all class. its boring but gotta do something!

No comments: