Monday, May 26, 2014

moved in to my new apartment today....

I tried a new item on the menu at McDonalds last night. It's called the "Samba Beef Burger". Its really good. Its like a tribute to the FIFA World Cup in Brazil. The set costs 6700 won at dinner time and about 1000 won cheaper at lunch. (lunch sets are cheaper). Over here a combo is called a "set".

My back was hurting this morning. Korean beds are difficult to sleep on because they aren't very soft. I'm also not used to only sleeping on one pillow. Some days I would put my coat under my pillow to raise it up a little.I got up early this morning at 8am and started moving my things to my new apartment.  Last night I brought over one suitcase and a carry on. Today I brought a suitcase and a laptop bag. It was really heavy, but I didn't have anyone to help me.

The apartment is alright. I'm on the 2nd floor. You can tell its very old. The bathroom looks dirty and the teacher before me said that it won't get any cleaner than it was. Now I have a key to keep up with. I've always had the keypad, but now I have a key. It looks different from a normal key. I could have an opportunity to move in October when the lease is up, but I really don't feel like packing up everything again. There could be a possibility of moving to something worse. English teachers don't have the best housing. Maybe I'll just grin and bear it for a year! There is so much stuff that has been left behind by previous people. I may just get rid of everything that doesn't belong or just leave it for the next teacher! There are so many food items left behind. I won't use any of them. There are a lot of spices. I don't add spices to anything. My boyfriend likes to cook so I may tell him to take anything he wants. There are also 2 bottles of vodka that was left behind. I definitely don't want that! The bed feels softer than the ones I've had before. The pillows don't look that great so I'm glad I brought my own pillowcases! The mattress doesn't look that good either. I brought my own sheets!

I'll have a video soon. Once I get settled in I'll make a video. I need to clean up a little bit.

I was finally able to wash all of my clothes today. My wardrobe is pretty small. I think I will go see what I can find once I get paid next month. The wifi name and password are hilarious. I'm not even going to say what they are on here!! But it involves a slang word for a part of a woman's body.

I had a pretty good day of classes today. I survived my first day completely alone. My Monday classes are pretty easy. For my art class I had a color by number for the kids to color. My reading class saw it on my desk and they wanted one too so I made them copies. I had a lot of late students today. They just have to pick up where I am at that time. But it doesn't really matter though. The classes with late students won't be tested on the material that I teach to them. My last class didn't want to do their work today. They were studying for other classes or making things. I kept telling them to do their work, but it didn't help. Maybe I'll bring that up in the meeting.

After classes 2 of the Korean teachers were asking me if I had a boyfriend so I showed them the picture. They think he is handsome. One of them said "I envy you". It was funny what one woman said. She asked me if he could speak good English. I told her no and she said "You have a body. He has a body. You speak body language". They were also talking to each other in Korean so I don't know what they were saying. Everyone keeps guessing that I'm 26 years old. One of the teachers asked me about my boyfriend's age and then she asked me if I was 26. (I'm 32). Last week the kids were guessing that I was 26.

I'm going to skype with my nephew tonight! He is 2 years old. I think he will be confused to see me. I used to watch him during the day. Now that I'm gone he looks for me. I wonder what he thinks about me not being there. He doesn't really realize that I'm gone. I miss him, but I have to do what is best for me.

No comments: