Sunday, May 25, 2014

Good Saturday

I had a good Saturday. I thought I was going to have a lonely weekend because my boyfriend had to work. He was able to see me!!

I got up early on Saturday to go meet someone to pick up a step down converter. We were suppose to meet at 10:30, but I didn't even check the train times. I wasn't even thinking that the trains here don't come as often as the ones in Seoul. I got to the station at 9:00AM, but the train that I needed to take didn't leave until 9:28. I took the train to my transfer point and called the person I was meeting on the payphone.I made it 15 minutes later that I planned.

That step down converter is heavy! I decided to leave it in a locker in a subway station while I went out for the day.

My first stop was going to be the residence of the Seoul mayor. The directions said take exit 6 at Hansung University station and walk 10-15 minutes. So I took exit 6 and walked well over 15 minutes. I did not see it anywhere. It must be off the main road because I couldn't find it. I followed the only directions that I had. Oh well. I just turned around and went back to the station. FAIL.

Today I rode the subway a lot. I made a ton of transfers and took tons of stairs. I have got to get in shape. Those stairs and hills are kicking my butt!

It was so hot today! I think the high was in the mid 80's. I had on a pretty thin shirt and I was burning up. I saw some people wearing coats and long sleeves! I don't even want to think about summer. I think I would actually like winter to start. Did I just say that? I would rather be cold than hot. If you are cold you can add layers, but if you are hot there is only so much you can take off!

Next I went to the North Korean Market Showcase. This was an event showcasing what kind of markets you can find in North Korea. The products were made in Korea or by a North Korean. It was interesting. I took pictures of most of the items.

Pictures: https://plus.google.com/photos/106518880659515557565/albums/6017006205285607393

Afterwards I went to a coffeeshop to find a wifi hotspot. I had been chatting off and on with my boyfriend during the day, but I keep losing connection. I hate not having a phone!! I feel disconnected. If I get lost I can't look up directions. If I'm running late I can't call someone. Finding a free wifi connection is hard. Most of the wifi connections require a sign up or password. I'm going to get a phone when I get paid. The kind I want requires a $275 refundable deposit plus about $100 for the phone. I have the money now, but I don't want to come up short later. I can get a 9 month contract instead of a 1 year or 2 year plan.

I also tried out strawberry patbingsoo while I was in the coffeeshop. The strawberry patbingsoo was so good! It was 8,900 won (about $8.90) The person at the counter gave me two spoons although I was by myself. While I was at the coffeeshop I was chatting with my boyfriend. He said he was at work so I asked him what time he finished. Then he said he wanted to meet today!! Originally he said he didn't have time because he had to work, but he made time for me.

Strawberry Patbingsoo:


After my boyfriend finished work we met. We ate dinner (that he cooked) at his apartment. It was my first time going to his apartment. He shares a small apartment with his older sister. She wasn't there while we were there. At first his dog was barking at me like crazy. She stopped barking once I started petting her. I think its sweet that he really loves his dog. His dog is like his baby. He is angry because Koreans eat dogs. That was the first time I heard him curse. I understand why he feels that way. His cooking was good. We had some rice with curry that he made. He also made some tofu and kimchi.

After we ate he wanted to take me for a drive. It was fun just riding around with him. I hope we do that more often. He took me to a place where a lot of couples go called Bugak Skyway. I do remember going there with one of the teachers from my school before. He bought me a lemonade and we just walked around and enjoyed the nice view of Seoul. Then he took me home.


No comments: