Monday, May 19, 2014

1st day of training

5/19/14 Monday

Lately there must be something magical about the 6:00 hour. Sunday I woke up at 6:25am and today I woke up at 6:45am on my own-no alarm. I have also been going to bed earlier than normal. Yesterday I was so tired that I was in bed by 10pm.

Today was my first day training to be an English teacher. I like all my coworkers. They are all nice. There are no secrets here. haha. Today the other teachers were asking me about not eating breakfast. (only my boss knows that I haven't been eating breakfast). 

I don't eat breakfast regularly. Once I get settled in I'm going to start back on Intermittent Fasting. I have got to lose some weight! All these hills are killing me! There is a gym in the same building as work so that is convenient. There are also some bikes you can rent near my house. Maybe I will give that a try one day.

Today I sat in on 6 classes. The students were elementary and middle school age. There will be 6 classes on Monday with 2 breaks. 3 of those classes only meet once a week. I have an art class, 2 speaking classes, 1 reading class, and 2 newspaper classes. All of the classes seem easy and I have complete control over the lessons. The school is really laid back. I think my worry about starting a new job is diminishing. 

The students were excited to meet me. They all want to know my name and who I am. They keep asking the teacher if I'm her friend. One person asked me if I was the teacher's sister. The students are all cute and funny. Some of the classes had me laughing all the time-esp the middle school class. The cooking class also kept me laughing. (They had a cooking class as a reward.) They were making pizza today. One of the boys brought in nutella and a lot of people were eating it out of the jar sharing the same spoon. They are so silly. The kids are pretty well behaved. They aren't strict about having perfectly behaved students.

I wore my new shoes today. Now I have blisters on the back of my feet. My feet hurt so bad that I just took off my shoes and walked home in just my shoe liners! I guess it will take some time to break them in. I think I'll wear a different pair tomorrow.

I found out today that I have 3 private adult students. I will be teaching them one on one. 1 of them is reading a novel. The other 2 are conversation classes. I have to make conversation for 40 minutes. Oh my. That is going to be hard. I'll have to come up with a lot of topics.

Tomorrow I have to be at school at 12:30pm for a 2 hour meeting (every Tuesday). I heard that 90% of the meeting will be in Korean so I won't understand, but I have to be there. One of the other teachers said they talk about how the students are doing in the meeting.

Current Temp: 67 F at 11:40PM. It is so hot. It feels hotter than 67! Or maybe its just that hot to me because there is no air conditioner in my room.

Exchange Rate: 1022 KRW to 1 USD 

No comments: