Saturday, November 1, 2014

Haircuts in Korea: Leechard Prohair

My hair usually looks like this...it was a small haircut..no major changes (I don't have a good before photo)

Right after my cut..I can never get my hair this straight! I got lots of compliments!

Today I made a spontaneous decision to get my haircut. (I didn't have an appointment!) I've been wanting to get it trimmed for a little while. I didn't really get any length cut off. I just wanted some layers in the front.

I saw a recommendation in a Facebook group for a place called Leechard Prohair. Leechard Prohair is a chain with other locations. I went to the salon near the Hwajeong subway station in Goyang, South Korea.

Leechard Prohair looks like a luxury hair salon. The interior is nicely decorated with big crystal chandeliers and nice mirrors with gold frames. The chairs are nice also. None of these basic chairs with the pump bar to go up and down. These are electric. The chairs at the hair washing station are almost like a mini recliner with the piece for your legs to rest.

When I entered the salon I was greeted by the hair salon "waiter" who sat down and asked me questions about what I wanted to have done at the salon. (I called him a waiter because he comes around with this pad of paper and a pen just like a waiter) He also gave me a complimentary strawberry smoothie while I waited. There were a few drink choices to choose from such as coffee and smoothies.

I didn't have to wait long. I was in and out in about an hour and I was a walk-in. I went around 11 on a Friday morning.

The stylist came by and took my coat and bag and put them in locker. She gave me the key. Then I was taken back to get my hair washed. The chairs at the washing stations were nice. Much nicer than I'm used to in the states. After washing my hair, the stylist gave me a short head massage.

Then I was led over to the stylist's chair where her and another girl blow dried my hair. I showed the stylist my picture of what I wanted. She didn't speak much English, but she understood what I wanted. I just wanted some soft layers around my face. She did a great job. After she was finished she asked me if I wanted it curled or wavy. I told her I wanted it straight. Another stylist came over and used a straightening iron on my hair. She made it look so good! I wish I had the patience to make my hair that straight everyday! (I'm a pretty low maintenance girl-its usually just brushed or in a ponytail!)

After she was finished straightening she asked me if it was okay. I said yes. Then the other girl asked me in Korean "is it ok?" She was surprised that I understood what she said. I know basic Korean words and phrases.

She took my key from me and got out my coat and bag. She helped me put on my coat. Then I paid. The haircut was only 15,000 won (about $15). You can't find a haircut in a basic salon for $15 in the US. I got a $15 haircut and excellent customer service. In the USA this kind of place would be expensive! I gave her a 5000 won tip. She was surprised. (tipping is not common in Korea)

While I was paying she waited by the elevator. She pushed the button and waited until the elevator came.

No comments: