Monday, October 13, 2014

Toilet Museum (Suwon, South Korea)

Another adventure for me.  I have many adventures! I had some difficulty getting there. I read a blog that said to go to Suwon station and take exit 2. So I did that. Exit 2 leads to a parking deck. So I went back into the station and took another exit and went to look for a bus I could take. I went to a bus stop, but I couldn't find the bus I needed. So I went back into the station. Went back out exit 2. Turned around and went out exit 3. Ended up in an apartment community so I walked around. Found another bus stop, but there were no buses I could take for my destination. I kept looking at an app on my phone. Using data on the phone really drains the battery. I'd walk in one direction and then turn around. Stand at the bus stop on one side of the road. Walk to the other side of the road after the bus I need isn't coming. Then walk back to the other side of the street. It was a lot of waiting and walking. I finally got on the bus I needed, but it went one stop and everyone got off. So I waited for the next one and finally made it to the stop I needed. Then I followed the app that took me to the wrong place. Turned around and used google maps. I finally made it to my destination. By the time I got there I was down to less than 10% on my phone. Going through the museum is pretty quick on the inside and outside. You don't need to devote much time to be able to see everything. When it was time to go I couldn't find the bus I needed. So I just got on a bus that I thought was going to the subway station, but after a while I realized I was going in the wrong direction. At this point I just decided to take a taxi!


Pictures: https://plus.google.com/photos/106518880659515557565/albums/6068917755377019313

Sim Jae-duck was once the mayor of Suwon. He was born in his grandmother's toilet.  His nickname was "Mr. Toilet". Toilets were his passion. He even built his house in the shape of a toilet.The house was completed in 2007. After he died in 2009, his family donated the house to the town of Suwon. The house was turned into a museum where patrons can learn about the history of toilets in Korea.

The house is named  Haewoojae. The name is derived from the word Haewooso. Haewooso is the name for a toilet in a buddhist temple. Haewooso means a room where you can relieve your worries.




Inside you can see the evolution of toilets in Korea and read about Sim Jae-duck. Outside you can see a 'toilet theme park' showing some of the toilets from the past.


Before toilet paper they used a rope to wipe

Jeju black pigs ate poop

a urinal for the males


Hours:
March-October 10:00-18:00
November-February 10:00-17:00

Closed:
Monday (if Monday is a holiday, closed on next day)
January 1st, Lunar New Year, Chuseok

Admission: Free

How to Get There: 
Once you are in Suwon you can take:
Express City Bus: 1009, 7790, 7800, 7900
Intra-City Bus: 5, 36, 63, 64, 65, 92, 98, 99, 310, 400-1, 990
Get off at Dongwon High School (Imok Underpass Stop) (There are no English announcements on the bus so remember how many stops you have to take or recognize the name)
The Toilet House is about a 7 minute walk from the bus stop

**Its a little difficult-I'd recommend taking a taxi

No comments: