Sunday, June 1, 2014

Trip to Gangneung (Danoje Festival)

Pictures: https://plus.google.com/photos/106518880659515557565/albums/6019613175558144673

On Saturday,I took my first express bus trip. I've never left Gyeonggi-do by myself. I left on the 9am bus to Gangneung (Gangwon-do) from Goyang. The ticket costed 16,700 won one way.




The ride there was good. The seats in the general bus were pretty comfortable. It was a 3 hour drive. I slept for a short time on the bus.

When I got to Gangneung bus terminal I went ahead and made sure I could get a ticket for the ride home. I got a ticket for the 19:40 bus for 16,700 won. I stood outside the station for a little while before I finally got a taxi. I took a taxi down to the Danoje Festival site.






It was so hot out today! It was in the high 80's. It's only spring. I don't even want to see what summer will be like.

This was a huge festival! There were so many vendors selling food, clothes, goods, etc. They even had carnival games and rides for the kids. I should have tried some of the food, but I ate at the bus terminal. I took a walk around and made a lot of videos. I have so much footage that I have to do some major editing!



I really wanted to see ssireum and the swing, but I guess they weren't doing those activities yesterday. I asked one person about them, but they didn't know.

I saw the mask drama at 3pm. It lasted for about 30 minutes.



I was so thirsty yesterday! I kept buying things to drink. I had 2 slushies, a bottle of water, a powerade, and a bottle of coke.

I wanted to go to the beach while I was there, but I decided not to. I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to tell the taxi where I wanted to go. I should have prepared the beach name on a piece of paper. oh well. I'll go to the beach later.

I stayed at the festival site till around 5pm then I decided just to go back to the bus terminal and wait for my bus. I got a taxi to the bus terminal. My taxi driver was talking to me a little in English. He wanted to know where I was from and a few other things about myself. We were close to having a wreck. A car pulled out in front of the taxi driver and he had to slam on his brakes. Then he blew the horn at them.

When I went to the station I had to use the bathroom. I found out that there were only squat potties at the terminal! I haven't mastered the art of using a squat potty (I've only used it once before). I was afraid that I would pee all over my pants. I took off my shoes and pants to go to the bathroom. haha. If you gotta go you gotta go. Its a good thing there wasn't a long line to the restroom. They would have been angry that I was taking too long!

I ate some bibimbap at a restaurant inside the terminal. Then I boarded my bus at 19:40 and headed home.

My first bus trip was a success. I didn't get lost! I didn't have any trouble getting tickets.

No comments: