Wednesday, September 3, 2014

D-81...Returning to the USA

I have decided to leave Korea early. My contract was suppose to be finished in May of 2015, but I decided to leave early. I gave my notice to my employer yesterday. I will be leaving on November 21 which is right past the 6 month mark.

I've been having a hard time adjusting this time around. I really want to be back in the states. I miss my family (especially my nephew!). I also miss American life and being able to find things that I like to eat. My eating habits are not good, but I have lost at least 10 pounds in the past 3 months. Most days I only eat 2 meals. Some days I will only have 1 meal. I'm surprised that I've been losing weight when I don't exercise (intentionally) and I would eat fast food almost every day.

I will be helping to find my replacement soon. I only have good things to say about the school. They have treated me well and I've always received what was promised in my contract. I'm just leaving because I'm ready to go home and I don't really think teaching is the right career for me. I'd rather leave than to stay and be miserable.

I've had fun on my 3 trips to Korea. I've seen a lot of great sites. I've met a lot of cool people (Koreans and other foreigners). I'm going to miss all the friends I made here.

I'll miss my ex. He is a good guy. He was just too busy to put time into a relationship. Deep down I still like him and I know he still likes me. We still communicate on a regular basis through chat. We are getting together some time this month for dinner. I haven't seen him since July so it will be weird to see him again. Our relationship didn't have what it takes to make it in the real world. The circumstances weren't in our favor. Some things just aren't meant to work no matter how much you wish they would.

But all good things must come to an end. I think my 6 year love affair with Korea is finally over when I leave. Coming to Korea was a spontaneous decision and I enjoyed the experience. When I first came I didn't know anything and now I am very familiar with Korean culture.

I will not be returning to teach again. I've had a lot of good experiences and a few bad experiences, but its time to say goodbye.

What does that mean for this blog? I am going to leave it up for informational purposes. I will continue to share my life up till November. I think this 6 year project will finally come to an end. I will not be adding any new content about Korea. There may be an update on my life in the future.

I've had fun posting in the blog. I think Korea is a great country and I really enjoyed learning about a new culture. I've enjoyed sharing my experiences with the world. There are a lot of things I didn't get around to seeing, but I did see a lot while I was here. I still have a lot of content for the next 11 weeks. I'm going to try to visit a new site or revisit some places every weekend. I have to make the most of my time while I'm still here.

I started my journey to Korea in November of 2008. I will be ending my journey in November of 2014.


16.5 weeks down....11.5 more to go
52 more work days...

No comments: