Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Documents for E-2 Visa

These are the documents that you will send to South Korea to receive a Visa Issuance Number (Hagwons)(Not Public School)

What documents do you need to apply for an E-2 Visa?

(US Applicants working for private academy (not public school)

1. Notarized Copy of your diploma that has an apostille attached to it. (This apostille comes from the Secretary of State in your state)

2. Criminal Background check from the FBI with apostille (This apostille comes from the US Dept of State)

3. Medical Form

4. Copy of info page from passport (the page with signature and picture)

5. 2 passport size (2x2) photos

6. 1 set of transcripts that are sealed

7. Resume

8. Copy of employment contract

I ordered my diploma near the end of November and it arrived quickly due to being so close to graduation. Last time I sent in my original diploma and they kept it so I had to order a new one.

I got my diploma notarized on December 30 at my bank. I wrote up an affidavit for the notary to sign. Then I mailed it off on the same day to the secretary of state in South Carolina (where I live). The cost $2. The apostille was dated January 2nd and I received it in the mail on Monday January 6th. Total time: 7 days

Next I ordered my Criminal background check from the FBI. I had to go get fingerprints at a local police office and then mail off the application and a money order for $18 to the FBI office. I mailed it off on December 6. It arrived at my house on January 29. Total time: 7 weeks and 5 days from the day I mailed it off.

I mailed off my cbc for an apostille on January 31. I used 2 day flat rate priority mail for there and back. The Flat rate letter is $5.70. The apostille costs $8.00. I sent that by money order. I got it back on February 18th Total time: 18 days (there was a delay due to a big stow storm. My 2 day priority mail was more like 6 days)

Total time to get all of my documents: 3 months

How much did the documents cost:

Cost for Diploma: $25
Apostille (Diploma) $4 (I got 2 copies just in case)
Passport pictures: $0 (I did them myself with a digital camera and printer)
CBC $18
Priority mail for apostille: $5.70 (x2)
apostille (CBC) $8
UPS documents to Korea $65

Total Cost=123.40

After my school submitted my documents to Immigration it took less than a week for my Visa to be approved.


No comments: