Wednesday, March 26, 2014

I'm planning to go back to South Korea...soon

I have decided to go back to Korea. I thought I'd never go back, but never say never. I've been thinking about it ever since November, but now I'm finally announcing it. Now I can just keep adding updates in new blog posts.

In November, I was really frustrated at my job so I posted a status update on Facebook. My friend in Korea saw my post and said I should take her job in March. I got all of my documents together to prepare. I had an interview and got the job, but I turned it down because they didn't offer any benefits. Plus the job was part time for half of the year and housing would be taken out of my pay.

I could have given up then, but my longing for Korea was too strong. My mind was made up. I was going to Korea somehow, some way.  My family thinks I'm crazy and begs me not to go.

I joined a Facebook group for English teachers in South Korea. I posted on the wall that I was looking for a job. Shortly after that a girl contacted me and said that she was leaving her hagwon at the end of April. I started communicating with her, but a week later her school decided they weren't going to hire another teacher to save money.

There's also another reason I want to go to Korea. I met a guy from Seoul on Facebook. We met in a group for Korean men who like foreign women. We have been chatting on Facebook and Kakao since December. We chat a few times a week. I'd like to meet him and see if there could be a connection offline. He seems like a really sweet guy. If things work out between us there will be plenty of posts about us later. (Only basic info)

After 2 failed attempts, I started contacting recruiters. I had to send them my resume, an introduction video, and a picture of myself. One company even asked me to send a full body picture because it would help me get more jobs. (how?) The recruiters told me about some positions. I'm not going to settle so I turn down a lot of jobs. I know I want to be near Seoul and only teach Elementary students. I wouldn't mind if there were some middle school students also.

I saw another post in the English teacher group on Facebook. A girl was leaving her hagwon in Goyang, Korea around the middle of April. I started communicating with her. I sent in my resume and her director liked it. I had a Skype interview on March 25. (waiting to hear back from them)

Another recruiter found me a position teaching Elementary students in Hanam, Korea. She sent my resume and they wanted to interview me. I will have a phone interview with them on March 26th.

On March 25 I had a recruiter who said he had a lot of positions and asked me to send him my resume. I really wasn't looking to go with more recruiters, but I sent it anyway. I have to keep my options open in case these 2 offers fall through. More recruiters=more opportunities.

I could be in Korea in May!! More updates later....














No comments: