Wednesday, March 26, 2014

I got a job!

On March 11th I began communicating with a girl I met in a Facebook group for English teachers in South Korea. She was leaving her hagwon and searching for her replacement. She forwarded my resume to her boss and her boss wanted to interview me.

She had a positive experience with the school. She was there 3 years. She left and then came back recently to work part time. She is leaving because she is moving out of the country to get married.

I had an interview on March 25th at 2PM Korean time which was 1AM in the USA (EST). The interview started a few minutes late because they were having computer problems. Then once their computer issues were worked out they added me on skype and I called them on video chat.

The director of the school was busy so one of the co workers interviewed me. The teacher I am replacing was also there, but she didn't ask me anything. The co-worker only asked me a few questions. She seemed excited to be talking to me and she said I made a good first impression..

I will be working in Goyang at a small hagwon. The hagwon has been open for 7 years.

Today the teacher that I am replacing sent me a message saying that the director wants to hire me! That was a fast decision. I got notified approximately 24 hours after my interview.

I think this will be the best position for me. I will have small classes, freedom to choose the curriculum and plan my own lessons. There are about 100 students in the whole hagwon and there is one other foreign teacher. I'll have a few different classes like a monthly cooking class and a weekly art class. I'll also have a private one on one with an adult student. The other students will be elementary students. On MWF I will have 5-6 classes and 3-4 classes on Tues/Thurs. Classes are 45 minutes long. Working hours are 2-9:30 with classes beginning around 3pm. I would be teaching reading, speaking, phonics, cooking, and art. I'd be doing novel reading with the adult student.

I will be starting at the end of May.

No comments: