Monday, July 18, 2011

Are you qualified to teach in Asia?

Check out this video from BusanKevin. He's currently doing a video series called "Teaching in Asia".He taught in South Korea for a few years and now he has been in Japan for a few years so he knows the ins and outs of teaching in Asia. I enjoy watching his channel.

Check it out here:  http://www.youtube.com/users/busankevin

I recommend watching this video:



While you are there check out this video also. Its about schools in Korea that are disorganized. You never know what you are getting yourself into.



My first school was disorganized. It was a new campus (of a well known franchise) so we were the first foreign teachers. I don't think the people who were in charge really knew what they were doing. There was a lot of miscommunication also. The teachers were shy to talk to us sometime because they weren't confident in their English abilities. I asked for some sort of document listing my pay like a pay stub, but they wouldn't give me one. They said "we don't do that here." (My other 2 schools didn't mind giving me one). They didn't take out taxes or pension. We just received our whole pay. Its nice to receive your full salary, but its not the legal thing to do. I arrived in winter and our heat never worked properly. We kept telling them and they kept saying that someone came over to fix it. I just ended up buying a little portable heater. A lot of things were told to us last minute (which is pretty common in SK). They gave me my schedule and then one day I was told that I had a class. It wasn't on my schedule. They told me 10 minutes before class so I was unprepared. There were things in our contracts that they didn't provide. We'd tell them "we are suppose to get (random item)". They would tell us that they have never even seen our contract. It took them a month to give us our silverware, pots, pans. We never got the table and chair that was in our contract. There was a point early in our contract where our recruiter actually advised us to resign because he was having an argument with the owner. 2 of us actually did resign. The first person to resign got fired when he turned in his resignation letter. I stayed until the end of the semester. I was only there for 10 weeks. The 3rd teacher actually stayed for 2 years. I left because I was scared that something bad might happen in the end based on what had happened so far.

No comments: