Friday, June 18, 2010

Argentina beats South Korea 4-1

**I can't believe that I am missing all the excitement. Soccer isn't popular in America so we don't have all these giant "street cheering" events. I wish I could have been in Korea to experience it. South Koreans love soccer! Maybe I'll just have to go back to South Korea in 2014 for the next World Cup. I'm going back to South Korea in 2011 to teach English. Maybe I'll still be there in 2014! Maybe I'll just find a Korean man to marry and move to South Korea.
_________________________________________

Argentina won the first round match against South Korea with a score of 4-1. South Koreans are hopeful that the Korean team can still make it to the second round.

The team has never made it to the round of 16 while playing in a foreign country. They did make it to the semifinals in 2002 when the World cup was held in South Korea.

Nearly 2 million people gathered in various places for "street cheering" wearing red shirts to support the team.

Seoul Plaza is one of the most popular "street cheering" sites. It is estimated that 300,000 people gathered there. 200,000 people gathered at Yeongdong Blvd. Hundreds of thousands gathered at COEX.

Korea plays Nigeria on June 23. This game will determine if they are able to advance to the second round.


This picture was in the Korea Herald. Wow! Look at all those people in the streets!:

No comments: