Friday, January 14, 2011

Tips for new teachers getting an E-2 visa in South Korea

These tips come from my own personal experience and all the mistakes I made. I have taught in South Korea before, but since I left for a year I have to come back and start the process all over as a new teacher. (While I was gone new regulations began so the process was different!)

These are processes for USA applicants applying to a private school (hagwon).

Start the process early. All these documents take a long time.

I started the document process in October for a job that starts in March. I could have the process finished earlier if I didn't make so many mistakes.

  • Start the FBI background check early! It can take up to 12 weeks(They will NOT expedite). Mine took 8 weeks.
  • DO NOT FORGET TO REQUEST THE SEAL AND SIGNATURE FOR THE PURPOSE OF OBTAINING AN APOSTILLE. Include a note with your application to the FBI.You will not get an apostille without the seal and signature. (I didn't do this and its caused me a lot of stress! I had to send it back to the FBI for the seal and signature which will take 2-3 weeks)
  • The apostille for the FBI check has to be done at the US Dept of State. The process takes 15+ days. If you live close enough to go to the office in person that would be the fastest option.
  • Send your original diploma to the Secretary of State to get an apostille. (Once I sent in the original I got it back within a week. This may vary from state to state. Check with your state for proper procedures)
  • Make sure you get plenty of ID size (2x2) pictures taken(I'd say 8 might be sufficient)(I got 6 at CVS for $10.00). You will need pictures for lots of things-ARC, medical check, picture ID at school. (I had to send in 4 with my application). 
UPDATE: Do not send your original diploma. I never got mine back!!!
 talk to local lawyer and see if they will put a notary on the photocopy of your diploma, or your university can provide you notary stamp along with the diploma photocopy. Then the apostille office should authenticate (apostille) the notary.

    No comments: