Saturday, January 8, 2011

E-2 Visa Frustration

I just got a new job. Here are the documents I need:

1. Original diploma with apostille
2. FBI background check with apostille
3. Signed contract
4. Medical check form
5. 4 passport photos

I'm suppose to have them in by February so time is running out. I'm having a little difficulty.

Getting all of these documents has been a hassle. I was researching online and I read about the new changes. I read that the original diploma wasn't being accepted anymore. So I sent in my FBI check and a copy of my diploma to the secretary of state in my state to get an apostille. A week later my documents were returned with no apostille. The Secretary of State office would not put an apostille on a copy of my diploma. They said that I had to send the FBI check to the US Dept of State.

I emailed the boss at the new school to ask about the diploma. I do need an original diploma because I will be considered a new teacher. The copy of the diploma is for teachers who are renewing contracts. Well that should have been clear in the article that I read.

Now I have another problem. I was suppose to get a seal and a signature on my background check. I didn't know this so I didn't request it. The US Dept of State will not put an apostille on it without some verification that its real. What the heck? Who makes fake FBI checks? I looked at the 'contact us' section on the US Dept of State website. They have so many inquiries so they won't take phone calls. They say the best way to reach them is to email. You should receive an answer within 48 hours. So I decided to write an email to the US Dept of State to see if a notarization would be sufficient because I didnt have the seal or a signature. I sent my first email on Sunday night. I waited and waited. I got no answer. So I started sending multiple emails. I think I sent close to 10 emails in all. I didn't get a response to any of them. I don't have time to send it back to the FBI because they are slow.
The apostille from the US Dept of State takes 15 days to process after they receive it. They will send it quicker if you send an airbill and envelope for express services. I'm going to send an overnight envelope so I will get it back faster. I hope it doesn't still take 15 days.

This is the problem: They change all the rules, but they don't give you detailed instructions on how to get all of these new documents. You have to find it out on your own. The average person doesn't know anything abut apostilles. I had never heard of an apostille before I went to South Korea.

I think the new regulations are crazy. It takes forever to get a background check from the FBI. I don't understand why it takes so long. It took 8 weeks for the background check. They received it in October, but they didn't process it until December.

Its a confusing and time consuming process. And I don't like it.

There's my E-2 Visa rant for the day.

UPDATE: DO NOT SEND YOUR ORIGINAL DIPLOMA!! YOU WILL NOT GET IT BACK!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

God, I'm having problems with the FBI background check. I sent my request in 10 weeks ago and they JUST sent me something saying, "We can't accept your fingerprints because they aren't clear enough."

Now, I'm in India - and I'm supposed to start teaching March 1st. I don't have access to get fingerprints done here (nor will it arrive in the states soon enough) - NOR do I have 3 more months for them to stare at my fingerprints and decide they can't accept them.

Hope you have better luck.

Anonymous said...

Next time you can hire an agency to expedite the apostille www.apostillepros.com
They FedEx everything to your door. No stress.

Have fun in South Korea, try some Korean BBQ Chicken.