Friday, January 14, 2011

More frustration over new regulations....

I'm upset that I didn't request the seal and signature on the background check and that I lost so much time by trying to ask around to get more information.

I didn't even know that I would need the seal and signature. I knew that the FBI would not put the apostille on it, but I was unfamiliar with the process and I was in a rush. The new regulations for the E-2 Visa started in September of 2010. The FBI background check would be required for anyone hired after January 1, 2011. I started my FBI background check in October of 2010 since I knew it would take a long time to get back.(Mine took about 8 weeks). I didn't even know that the background check is useless without the seal and signature.

I communicated through a forum to see if anyone had the same problem. I finally decided that my only option was to mail the FBI check back to the FBI and let them put the seal and signature on it. I sent it by express mail which means it got there fast, but my urgency isn't going to speed up the process. To them its just another document and they take their time. I called today to see if they could get it done fast. They said they will NOT expedite the process. It will take 2-3 weeks to get a seal and signature. I think 2-3 weeks is ridiculous when all I need is a signature. A signature shouldn't take that long.

I don't understand why they can't just put the seal and signature on every background check. You have to request it. Some people requested it and they still didn't do it. Apparently, it isn't 'authentic' without the seal and signature. I don't think the government cares about making the process simpler for everyone.

Once I get it back I am hiring a courier in Washington, DC to go to the US Dept of State to get the apostille. If I sent it by mail it would take 15+ days. I don't have that kind of time. Its going to be expensive, but I can get it done sooner. I will send the letter there by UPS and include a prepaid return envelope through UPS. Then the courier fee is $45 plus the $8 to get the apostille.

Getting my first Visa in 2008 was so easy, but all these new regulations are really time consuming and a pain in the ***. I wonder if the new regulations will cause less people to apply. A few crazy foreigners had to mess up the whole process for the rest of us.

No comments: