Monday, July 7, 2014

Finally got to see my boyfriend!

On Saturday night I had a date with my boyfriend. I hadn't seen him in a month! He's always busy so I don't get to see him often. Its really tough, but I'm hanging in there. Sometimes I get frustrated because I don't get to see him very often. There are a lot of times where I think about ending the relationship, but I'm not ready for that.

My friends and family are worried about me because he doesn't have time for me. Maybe I'm too trusting of him. Everyone else worries that he has someone else on the side.

On Friday I asked him what he thought about our relationship. We've been dating for 7 weeks now. He told me he does love me, but its hard for him to express himself because he doesn't speak English. He is making an effort to learn English so he can better communicate.

He told me on our date that he studies English for 2 hours a day during the week and 1 hour a day on the weekends. He has an English tutor at an English academy. His goal is to have perfect English skills. He has a long way to go, but I know he is trying. (I need to start working on my Korean!!)

Our relationship is very unique. I never thought that I'd find my mate in another part of the world. I don't speak much Korean and he doesn't speak much English. He's Korean and I'm American. We use an app called Line to talk to each other everyday. We just type messages to each other during the day. Some days we will only say good morning and good night. Other days we will have a little longer conversation. As time passes we need to have more serious conversations. The app has a Korean to English/English to Korean translating feature that we use. I mostly type in English and he mostly types in Korean.

I think he is a sweet, kind person. He always treats me good when we are out together. He pays for dates and always takes me home. I enjoy spending time with him. He's very concerned with whether I am eating. He always asks me if I have had a meal. (You can tell by my appearance that I haven't skipped many meals in my life. haha) I sometimes wonder why such a small, fit guy would date a big girl like me. But I'm glad he sees more than my appearance.

On our date I got to experience something new. He took me to a Chinese restaurant and we ate lamb. I had never tried lamb before, but it was very delicious. We cooked the lamb at our table over charcoals. The lamb was on skewers and you hold it there and keep turning it to brown it. We had 20 of the skewers in all. 10 that were white and 10 that were red. I don't know what the difference was, but they were both good. We also had some nangmyeon. It was also my first time eating nangmyeon. Nangmyeon is a cold noodle dish. The noodles are thin and brown and made from buckwheat, potatoes and sweet potatoes. It was good.




Afterwards we went for a walk and he practiced some English with me. He used a translating app and I would help him make it more natural or the correct pronunciation. Then he took me to Baskin Robbins for ice cream.

He usually takes me home after our dates, but his car was in the shop so he walked into the subway station with me to see me off. I wish our date could have been longer, but the subway trains don't go all night in Seoul.

When will I see him again?

No comments: