Saturday, February 12, 2011

Update 6: I have a job!


My recruiter set up an interview for Thursday around midnight. It was a school with kindergarten and elementary students. He never heard back from the school after the interview.

He called me last night to tell me about another option teaching kindergarten. He was going to call the school after he got off the phone with me and they would call me shortly after. I was really nervous about that school because I saw some not so positive reviews. He called me back shortly after and said they hired someone who was already in Korea.

He told me about another position about 2 hours outside of Seoul. I reluctantly accepted to have the interview, but quickly wrote him back to tell him that I really preferred to be in Seoul.

Then he emailed me back to say that he just got an phone call from a school in Bundang. Its a little outside of Seoul, but I'll still be able to access the subway system. That was the best option that he had for me within my preferences. He set up an interview for 11am(Korean time).

I had the interview at 9pm EST. The woman who I spoke with on the phone had good English skills. She said she had lived in the USA for 20 years. Another employee is a Korean American. One of the first things she said to me was "I'd like to invite you to come to Korea." It was like an instant job offer. She didn't really ask me much. Its a brand new hagwon and they don't have many students yet so classes will be pretty small to begin with. This will be a day job from 10-6pm. I'd be teaching 4 kindergarten classes in the morning(40 mins each). The kindergarten is more of a learning through activities. Then elementary in the afternoon. The elementary will have textbooks. They provide the airfare (I asked!) The salary is 100,000 won more than what I made at my last job because I have experience. She said she will send my contract on Monday and then the process of obtaining my Visa will begin. All my documents are already in Korea. I'm the first person they have hired so far.

This will be the 3rd job where I was one of the first foreign teachers. I think its less pressure because they can't compare me to the previous teacher and the students won't be comparing me or have to adjust to a new style of teaching.

If they put in for my visa on Monday then 10 days later would be the 24th. Then I'll rush my documents to Atlanta to the consulate. Then as soon as they are processed I have to pick them up and leave from the airport the same day in Atlanta. I'm guessing that I could be leaving as soon as the 25th maybe? I don't know all the details yet but I should be in Korea by the 1st of March and I start my job on the 2nd.

Now I'm searching Dave's ESL cafe looking for used products to furnish my apartment. So far I've found a rice cooker and a transformer. I hope to find a lot of household products.

2 comments:

Jason said...

Have you ever been to Bundang? I lived about 30 min away in Suwon and visited Bundang a few times. It is a great place to live! There is a neighborhood there with a bunch of outdoor cafes(a little expensive but great for a break from Korean food). Good Luck!

Valerie Knight said...

I've never been there but I've been told by a few people that it was a nice place to live.