Friday, July 30, 2010

Foreigners pick the best aspects of Seoul life

Recently a survey was taken by Seoul city and Seoul Tourism organization to find out what foreigners liked most about Seoul. 500 foreign residents were chosen to pick the city's top 20 experiences.

Namsan, Hongdae Streets and makgeolli were chosen as the favorite things in the city.

Seoul published a mini English guidebook which lists the top 20 experiences along with contact numbers.

The number one choice was Namsan (a mountain and the city’s largest park). Foreigners highly recommend hiking to the peak of Namsan mountain or riding the cable car.The view of the city from North Seoul tower was also on the list.

***I agree with riding the cable car and the view from N. Seoul tower. The view of the city is great from the top of the tower. I've never hiked the mountain.


riding the cable car



Foreign visitors also liked visits to palaces, Han River Parks, and mountains.
**The Han River Park is nice. I also like visiting palaces. I visited 4 of the palaces while I was in Seoul.

The list also included things outside of the typical tourist spots.

Many foreign visitors recommend the streets near Hongik University in Hongdae which are known for their nightlife.
**I never visited Hongdae for the nightlife. I'm just not into the nightlife culture and partying.

Shopping districts such as Myeong-dong, Dongdaemun, Yongsan electronic center, COEX mall and Cheongdam-dong streets are also popular.
**I never bought anything from these places. I don't shop that often. I also didn't want to have more things to stuff into my suitcase although I could have shipped them home for a low rate.

Tourists also have an interest in Korean food. The most popular choices are galbi, samgyetang,  and makgeolli.
***I love galbi! My favorite Korean food is samgyeopsal. I've never tried samgyetang or makgeolli.

Seoul Tourism Organization will introduce the top 20 spots on their website http://www.miceseoul.com/ from August 3rd. Visitors can also find information about the top 200 destinations.

My favorite experiences and places in Seoul (in no particular order):


1. Han River
2. Cheonggyecheon
3. Seoul Tower
4. Palaces
5. Yeouido Park
6. Lotte World
7. Samgyeopsal
8. Seoul Subway
9. Kimbap Heaven
10. Gwanghwamun
11. E-Mart
12. Insadong

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Namsan is one of my favorate places
and I recommend the road from Soeul N Tower to Namsan Public Labrary.